• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What are the side bulbs in the third brake light?

HankG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Sorry for the dumb question, but I'm stumped. In the third brake light, the brake light comes on when I hit the brakes, but nothing seems to turn on the two side bulbs. When are they supposed to come on? I've been looking through ALLDATA trying to get an answer, and while the diagram for the third brake light shows three bulbs, it doesn't say a word about the side bulbs, and I can't find anything else under other categories about them.

john112deere

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997/2009
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 / 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Assuming you mean the '96 listed beneath your name, and further assuming it's the same as my '97, I'm guessing you mean the cargo lamps (the ones behind the clear lenses)?

Rotate the gauge-dimming knob (the one beside the headlight switch) all the way up- turns on the dome light and cargo lamps.

HankG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Thanks. :) They aren't working, but at least I know what they are and that they are a fairly low priority project.

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Ford did a weird thing and put cargo lights in some Rangers, but didn't actually wire them in. If you only have 2 wires going to the brake light/cargo lights, it's not wired in and you'll have to run your own wire to a switch. If you have 3 wires, it is wired in and you have a problem with them.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals