• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New radiator for 1986 B2

Sabai

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
My newly-acquired 1986 B2 was running hot, especially on relatively long trips like a 40 minute drive. It was very cold outside but the temp gauge would go all the way up to just below H, the drop down a bit and go right back up.

I looked and could see nice new sealant around the thermostat so I am sure the previous owner already did that one. I also noticed what looked like a nice new temp sending unit.

This rig apparently sat for a few years (took us hours to clean all the scale out of the clogged windshield wiper washer tank/hose, another story).

With the engine hot I put my hand on the top of the radiator and it was hot. Moved hand to bottom of radiator and it was COLD. Obviously the radiator was clogged.

Replacing with a new radiator was a really easy job, and super inexpensive, I think $25 for hoses and $120 for radiator.

Now it runs with temp gauge right in the middle, never gets hot.

Lil-Pony

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Take a Guess
Engine Size
2.8 soon to be 4bt
Transmission
Automatic
Correct me if im wrong bu the bottom should be cooler than the top. But if the rad it clogged the bottom would have less pressure than the top?

Lil-Pony

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Take a Guess
Engine Size
2.8 soon to be 4bt
Transmission
Automatic
Also did you flush the block? And back flush it?

Sabai

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
All we did was drain the radiator then remove the hoses. I am not sure if that would drain the block. The fluid that came out looked good. There was a huge difference in temp between upper and lower half of radiator. I do believe that was the reason she ran hot.

Lil-Pony

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Take a Guess
Engine Size
2.8 soon to be 4bt
Transmission
Automatic
As long as the coolant wasnt rusty your good. Cooling systems still mystify me sometimes

Demi_II

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
As long as the coolant wasnt rusty your good. Cooling systems still mystify me sometimes
Truth. After i dropped a fresh 2.3 in mine the fan doesnt sit inside the cowling all the way anymore. Im sure i could wiggle it a bit and get it to fit better now that the mounts are broken in. Its odd though the only time it gets anywhere near normal temp is when its idling. If im driving it over cools. Its an all new coolant system all the way to the heater core and everything else. Im thinking i might have a bad theromostat that is opening too early. Always something with this truck lol.

Sabai

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Truth. After i dropped a fresh 2.3 in mine the fan doesnt sit inside the cowling all the way anymore. Im sure i could wiggle it a bit and get it to fit better now that the mounts are broken in.
If it were not for my son I would have had a really sloppy cowling. The new radiator came with two clips that I initially ignored. I think we sorted that out and it's secure but I'll keep an eye on it. Mine runs right in the center of the temp gauge.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals