• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

86 Ranger / 88 5.0 EFI HO - Much searching, Fuel Pump Help

86Ranger5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 FI V8
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys, I've spent many hours on this (what seemed to be simple) task. I've done previous wiring swaps before (more complicated by i might add)... just stumped.
maybe i've lost my touch lol.

The Green (rectangular 8pin) connector near Mustang EEC
In one of the guides i'm told to connect the Green / Yellow wire (from Plug1) to the intertia switch's Orange / Blue wire. My Inertia switch has two wires, Orange / Blue AND Pink / Black. These two wires go from the intertia switch into the engine bay and end in the form of a 2 pin connector, but This connector is not connected to anything.

I tried it anyways. Side note Voltage reading is 6volts @ intertia switch wire which is connected to mustang green 8 pin harness

Now im trying to connect the Pink / Black wire coming out of the interia switch to where it needs to go (provide (+) voltage to fuel pump??). Did everyone have to do this?

Does anyone know which wire in the Ranger plug (driver side brake booster, 8 pin square) which is the fuel pump (+)?

Using the following for reference. The intertia switch seems to be in two different places in each diagram.

PIN 37/57 goes thru the intertia switch first - then the fuel pump relay here

PIN 37/57 Goes straight to Fuel Pump Relay here

BigBlockRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
545 (8.9L)
Transmission
Automatic
My book, a Haynes, is showing:

Fuel Pump relay -> Dark Green/Yellow -> Inertia switch -> Pink/black -> fuel pump.

86Ranger5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 FI V8
Transmission
Automatic
I had to to splice the pink / black coming out of the intertia switch over to the ranger main harness, since it was not connected (utilized old motor harness to get there) Then from the main ranger harness, it goes in the cabin (fusebox im guessing?), then back out into a harness going down to the frame. Well at that point the fuel pink / black wire was disconnected.

Fuel Pump Relay (once activated) comes out Dark Green / Yellow.

Dark Green Yellow then gets split two ways. 1 goes to EEC PIN 19 (Fuel Pump Monitor) then the other goes to the Intertia Switch

Pink/Black comes out of intertia switch then over to the fuel pumps (Via ranger main harness, then Chassis Harness)

Thanks!

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals