• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Shock Recommendation for a 2004 FX4

mio51

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I am having a hard time finding recommended shocks for my (stock ride height) 2004 FX4, which serves as my daily driver & (sorry!) won't be used for off-roading. I have been searching through several parts catalogs (like Rock Auto), as well as manufacturers such as Bilstein & KYB, but none of them seem to list the 2004 FX4 as a specific model. The listings all seem to list "exc. high rider & FX4." Summit does list some specific shocks for the FX4 but they start at the 2005 model. Any insight and/or options you can offer would be very helpful as to what fits. I'm aware of & have used the search function, but haven't found anything specific enough to my application. Discussion seems to center around "What's the difference between an FX4 & FX4 LII?

Last edited:

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I am not aware of any differences in the suspensions of a FX4 and standard (XLT, etc.) 4WD trucks other than the FX4 (Level-II) was equipped with Bilstein shocks that bolt on in the same way any other stock shock would, and possibly has stiffer torsion bars. So you should be fine ordering shocks for any 2004 4WD Ranger truck (maybe someone else can chime in with further info if I've overlooked something).

The '87-'89 STX w/Highrider suspension OTOH did have different shock requirements than non-STX trucks (2" longer), but this doesn't apply to the later model trucks with the A-arm IFS.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
4x4junkie is right. When I replaced the shocks on my 02 FX4 (same as 03+ level II) I just ordered Bilstein shocks that would fit any 4WD 02 Ranger. The FX4 and FX4 LII are still XLT 4WD Rangers. As said before the LII should have stiffer torsion bars and your FX4 may have them too but the shocks should not be any different than any 04 4WD Ranger. The last few years of 4WD Rangers may have different shocks because they sit a little lower. Your 04 is not in that category.

TiredRetired

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Never Let the Bastards wear you down.
I ordered KYB shocks through RockAuto and they fit my 05 FX/4 just fine. I do not see your 04 being any different.

BTW the KYB's are phenomenal shocks for a daily driver that is not driven off road and I got them for around 110 bucks all four including a 40 dollar rebate.

Last edited:

French-connection

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
This thread is already a bit older, but I'm looking for the same information and have a couple questions / concerns. Maybe someone can help.
I'm working on the front end of my 02 FX4 and want to replace the old, dead Bilsteins.
After reading a lot, I was leaning towards getting the Rancho RS5347.
I'm going to raise the front via the torque keys just to level the truck, about 1" and those are a little longer so I might prevent bottoming out in holes.
My concern though is that the Bilsteins have a smaller bar at the bottom which clears the CV shaft and make installation easy. The tube of the Rancho goes all the way to the bottom.
Will this cause some trouble? What about a KYB gas-a-just shock? Is there a model with extended length?

Thanks,
Olivier

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
This thread is already a bit older, but I'm looking for the same information and have a couple questions / concerns. Maybe someone can help.
I'm working on the front end of my 02 FX4 and want to replace the old, dead Bilsteins.
After reading a lot, I was leaning towards getting the Rancho RS5347.
I'm going to raise the front via the torque keys just to level the truck, about 1" and those are a little longer so I might prevent bottoming out in holes.
My concern though is that the Bilsteins have a smaller bar at the bottom which clears the CV shaft and make installation easy. The tube of the Rancho goes all the way to the bottom.
Will this cause some trouble? What about a KYB gas-a-just shock? Is there a model with extended length?

Thanks,
Olivier
Given the exceedingly sloppy engineering of past Rancho stuff, I would avoid them like the plague (things that you think would be obvious, like the mounting of their RS9000 shocks on earlier trucks... they put the stud and eye on the wrong ends of a shock that does not function correctly when mounted upside down... Not that they functioned very well right-side-up either lol)

KYB shocks OTOH are great shocks, and an excellent value as well (and is what I had ditched those RS9000s for).
Unfortunately I don't have an answer to your clearance Q... But if the KYB has the extended shaft, then I'd say by all means go for them.

French-connection

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for your reply.
I’m looking for KYB gas a just but don’t seem to be able to find a model that is for the FX4.
Every KYB I find online says ‘excl. FX4’.

Thanks again.

French-connection

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I did some searching and found the following.
Basically the KYB KG54309 shock can be used to replace Bilstein 24-188241.
KYB. Bilstein
extended length. 18.07” 17.92”
Compressed length. 13.58”. 13.72”
Diameter. 1.77”. 1.81”

The KYB has more stroke length, but a little less diameter.
The operating range is longer, so I guess the only difference will be ho stiff they are.
I’m currently replacing all the ball joints, tie rod ends and upper control arms.
After that I’ll check my shocks, but my guess is that they’ll be toast after 200k.
Probably getting the KYB to replace them at that point.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals