• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

p1443 code??

97Ranger_XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
CEL came on and pulled a p1443 code. I changed out the purge solenoid and put a new gas cap on, however, the CEL came back on after about 15 minutes. What is my next step?? All the hoses look good, all that is left is canister and flow sensor? Can they be cleaned or do they just need to be replaced?

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
First of all, did you clear the codes from the computer? if not it will take a few drive cycles to clear them out. if you have, take a look at the flow sensor too. you might be able to get one at the junkyard for a few bucks..

Hope this helps, and btw, great screen name :)

AJ

97Ranger_XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the reply, yea I did clear the code with a OBD-II code reader after the "fix" but came back on. Already got a flow sensor on order from Rockauto. Is there anything I can do to the vapor canister or is it a part that works or it doesnt?

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
yeah, the carbon container is a pretty much it works or it doesn't. There is a how to on here on rebuilding one somewhere. basically you will end up cutting it open and replacing the charcoal in it...

AJ

97Ranger_XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Thats what I figured, what about cleaning flow sensor with carb cleaner, or will that fry it? So another question, if the flow sensor does not cure CEL should I look at the vapor hose from the gas tank to canister itself? This is my last code to fix and it has been the hardest to pinpoint, I want to get started on the fun stuff like lift, tires, lockers, intake, etc.! Thanks for the help.

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
you might check it by unhooking it at both ends and taking an air hose and blasting it out. if it has obstructions, that should clear it out. more than likely it will be your sensor.

As for cleaning it out w/ carb cleaner, you can try it. might help ya, might not. double check the hoses from the canister to the intake tho. they are mostly hard plastic lines covered w/ rubber, but if the rubber has a crack in it and the plastic has a crack in it or if they are obstructed themselves...After 13 years on my truck, mine were starting to deteriorate. I replaced it with a fuel grade rubber hose.

AJ

97Ranger_XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I'll give it a shot and let you know if it works...thanks again

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals