• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Questions on Explorer Leaf Spring and Seat swap

killswitch21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 2008
Make / Model
Ford, Honda
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Hello all, My local pick a part is having a 40% off all parts sale this weekend, so I figured this is as good of time as any to pick up some used parts.

I have a 1990 Ranger 2.9L V6 4x4 Manual Transmission. Std. Cab, long bed

I know these subjects have kinda been beat like a dead horse, but I've looked all over and haven't found these specific answers.

Explorer Leaf Springs:
So far I know I need the Explorer 4 pack leaf springs off of a 4 door explorer as the 2 doors have weaker leafs.

-Does it matter what year the donor explorer is?
I've heard I should go for 95-00 4 door 4 leafs, however I have also heard its damn near impossible to find the bushings for the 95+ explorer leaf springs ends. (Thus some people are Frankensteining their ranger leafs with the explorer leafs.)
Would it be easier to pull the leaf springs from a 1st gen explorer? or is it irrelevant what year it comes from?

-Does it matter if the donor is a 2wd or a 4wd as both are available at my local pick a part. I assume 2wd is fine as no one has said otherwise.

Now for Seat swapping:
I currently have a 60/40 Bench seat in my std. cab.
I'm wanting to replace them with a 60/40 bench from a newer ranger that actually has storage in the center armrest. My dad had an 01 ranger that had the 60/40 I'm hoping to snag. I believe all I have to do is swap the seat rails.

-Does it matter if the donor vehicle is ext cab or std. cab? (Mine is std. cab)
-can someone confirm 04 was the 1st year the seat rails couldn't be removed?

all help is greatly appreciated. I've looked everywhere and can't quite find these last few questions

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Doesn't matter on what explorer the leaves come from, just go for 4 door, all are the same height...

as far as seats, don't know on year but yeah you are on the right track, just make sure the seatbelts aren't on the seats themselves, at worse I've seen the holes there you just might have to tap them for the bolts to meet up with the tracks.

The yard by me is 50% off this weekend, I'm going to try to grab some things if I can make it over there... I have quite the list between 5 vehicles...

killswitch21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 2008
Make / Model
Ford, Honda
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Doesn't matter on what explorer the leaves come from, just go for 4 door, all are the same height...

as far as seats, don't know on year but yeah you are on the right track, just make sure the seatbelts aren't on the seats themselves, at worse I've seen the holes there you just might have to tap them for the bolts to meet up with the tracks.

The yard by me is 50% off this weekend, I'm going to try to grab some things if I can make it over there... I have quite the list between 5 vehicles...
Thanks so much, you're a gentleman and a scholar!

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
On the topic of seat swaps and tapping holes, I learned recently that the bolts Ford uses around seats, that have the triangle tip, are supposed to be self-tapping bolts.

papasmurfor9

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I just did the leaf spring swap on my 2000 ranger. Donor was a 96 4 door explorer 2wd I believe. I left the factory blocks and used 2in lift shackles. had no issues.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals