• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Lockers, What Do You Run?

RockRanger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
What Locker(s) Do You Run?: Welded Spiders Rear Aussie Front
Price?: Rear $5 Front $200 ish
What Axles Do You Have?: 1991 Explorer 8.8 rear. 1984 Jeep Wagoneer Dana 44
Gear Ratio?: 4.88
Manual Or Automatic Tranny?: Manual with a doubler
Street Manners?: Rear sequels tires around every corner and is down right scary in ice and lightly snow covered roads.
Off Road Performance?: Awesome except for the pushing when trying to make tight turns.
How Long Have You Had It?: 8-10 years give or take.
Any Breakage?: 8.8 had the ring gear bolts back out. Front 4 hubs and 5 shafts. Never had a problem with the lockers
Anything Else?: If you have to do much street driving especially with ice and snow skip the welded rear. My truck is just a trail rig and even with the extra tire wear of the welded rear my tires will dry rot before I wear the tread off of them.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
What Locker(s) Do You Run?: Aussie
Price?: $260 in 2009
What Axles Do You Have?: Explorer 8.8
Gear Ratio?: 5.13:1
Manual Or Automatic Tranny?: Manual
Street Manners?: Ratchets here and there when turning, but not bad, now ratchets all the time...
Off Road Performance?: Worked GREAT when it worked, barely knew it was back there but I went near everywhere I wanted to
How Long Have You Had It?: 10 years and 30k miles or so before it went, mostly offroading miles other than driving to wheeling...
Any Breakage?: Did a tractor pull once and twisted an axle tube on the 8.8 and bent a leaf spring, locker kept chugging after that was fixed up until a few weeks ago when the locker finally let go
Anything Else?: For the price I'd go Aussie again, took some abuse until it didn't wanna anymore... I'm looking into other options too though.

Don't know how I haven't posted to this in the last 10 years since I had the thing...

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Reading over this section with Dana 28's, what lockers can be installed in the Dana 28? I thought the Lock-Rite could but according to the tech section the Dana 28 is a 23 spline, but the Lock-Rite for a Dana 28 is for a 27 spline. How do I get a front locker (rather limited slip as the Lock-Rite does open for turns). Am I missing something or mis-reading something? I can't find any other options for a front limited slip/locker than the Lock-Rite and where can I find one? They're discontinued and not available anywhere it seems.

Scrambler82

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/EDGE
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4.5" SL
Total Drop
WWWhhhaaattt !?!
Tire Size
33 x 12.50
The Jeep runs Detroit in the rear 35 spline D60 and the Front 44 is a 33 spline OX Locker.
Pricey is the word.
Welded Spiders are not in my card, don't like the idea although lot do it !
OX Lockers have strong Spiders, 4 of them, and is is Switchable so the front doesn't have to stay locked all the time.

My thought and if within your budget, switchable lockers are the way to go !

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals