• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My '99 4x4 RegCab Steppie Build

Baba ganush

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
In the middle of a weekend project, thought I would start a thread. I found this 1999 Ranger 4x4 in a small town in Texas and decided to give it a new lease on life. 3.0, auto, base model 4x4, 190k on the clock. It was in rough shape!

Baba ganush

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
So my first job was to bring the shine back to this paint job, and wash the 10 years of dirt out of the interior.

Baba ganush

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Next, I found an explorer donor and tore its' heart out!:icon_welder:

I then tore the 3.slow and transmission out of the ranger.

Baba ganush

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Before I scrapped the donor Explorer, I ripped the 3L73 rear end off and threw the 7.5 from the ranger underneath it.

I then re-geared it for 4.10 to match my front diff, flipped the spring pads and welded up some shock mounts. It went right under the ranger, and it looks mean! Now I have an 8.8 31 spline limited slip, disc brake rear end! I also transferred the parking break cable from the donor for the now rear disc brakes.

Baba ganush

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
While I was doing that, my short-block and GT40p heads were being re-born at the machine shop.

And here is the assembled long block.

Baba ganush

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I decided to clean up the old upper intake, it was pretty nasty.

Baba ganush

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I had to do some wiring modifications. This is the plug for the battery/charging harness. I used the 5.0 harness and swapped the plug from the Ranger harness.

Baba ganush

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I wanted a darker interior, so I found a complete interior out of a 2004 Edge and swapped it in. I had to do some major cleaning of the seats, as well as some patching on the driver's side, but nothing too bad.

Here are the seats, before and after a "green machine" treatment.

Baba ganush

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Dropped in the 5.0 the other day and that's where I'm at.

:icon_welder:

The project has paid for itself to this point, so from here on out it's an expense. I plan to bolt up my 4r70w now and work out the bugs before I completely re-build it and change the output shaft/tail housing to bolt up to my BW1354 Transfer Case. So it will be 2wd for a moment:bawling:, but I plan to complete the extensive modifications after the first of the year.

This weekend I plan to install the transmission and start it up. I'm on a few other forums but I will be spending a lot more time here, and gladly so. Wish me luck!:icon_thumby:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
All I have to say, gnarly man. That is just awesome.

Baba ganush

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Appreciate it:icon_thumby:

I don't have any good pictures of it now. I plan on converting the front end to '06+ as well. Oh, and the purpl-ish rear window tint is history lol, along with those seats!

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Looks good, and you will like the new potential of the new heart. What all did the machine shop do and how much did it run you? Where you located?

SVT

Baba ganush

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Looks good, and you will like the new potential of the new heart. What all did the machine shop do and how much did it run you? Where you located?

SVT
I am ready to drive this thing! Although I haven't even cranked it up yet.

I'm near Dallas TX, and I had a small shop in Garland punch out my 306, new pistons and bearings, re-used the crank and rods. Freshened up the heads and sold me just about every part to get it back in the truck for $700.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Not a bad price, but rather punch it out to 306 you would have been better having them put larger valves in the heads, if any funds were left over a port and polish. Paint looks great on the intake :icon_thumby:

SVT

Baba ganush

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Not a bad price, but rather punch it out to 306 you would have been better having them put larger valves in the heads, if any funds were left over a port and polish. Paint looks great on the intake :icon_thumby:

SVT
I could've gone a few different ways with the motor, but I was sticking to a strict budget. I also wanted to do a ton of different things and I didn't want to be too invested in one area, before I had a working combination. Bolt-ons would probably suffice if I thought it needed more. I have zero experience tuning this setup, but I am intamately familiar with the mustang 5.0 of old.

I plan to add at least some headers, those factory manifolds are hideous.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals