• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

doing it for a second time

orfordguy@yahoo.com

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
For
Engine Size
The bigger the better
Transmission
Manual
My credo
i know something about almost everything but not everything about anything.
ok... here it is a couple years ago I used this forum and all its infinite wisdom to build my 86 ranger xlt 4x4.. I swapped in a 93 4.0 with a4ld.. I swapped my manual tcase (from the ranger) onto it and had drivelines made.. it wound up with 92 dash, cluster, pedals, column, door panels, seats, wiring, radiator, heater box, ac, and anything else I could swap in from the donors including the 3.73 limited slip dana 35 and 8.8... I added 31/10.5s and 4" lift along with off road goodys... now the issues... the 4.0 developed a cracked head, the a4ld is starting to loose gears and the tcase is makin noise.. so I wanna do it right.. its going 5.0, aod and 1356.. I got a 5.0 from an 97 explo along with the radiator and ac condenser. I pulled a aod/1356 from a 84 f150.. I also have the distributer and cam from the wifes 93 gt.. will need wring, maf, explorer alt and some form of a computer... need suggestions on those and any issues I might run into.. I know about the motor mount/plate issues, ac box clearance, tach recal, shifter mods, and driveline issue, my concern is wiring based and has anyone found a better set of valve cover for these motors..

Last edited:

Elutheros

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If you plan on using the Explorer intake manifold, avoid the mustang valve covers because the oil fill tube sits right in front of the throttle body. The Explorer valve covers may be ugly, but they have the oil filler offset so everything fits without modification.

You will need a Mustang A9P or A9L computer. Pricey unless you have a core and then they are about $100 from RockAuto. The 93 GT ECU ought to be the one you need.

orfordguy@yahoo.com

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
For
Engine Size
The bigger the better
Transmission
Manual
My credo
I get that but I wanna put a 1" intake spacer and motorsport crome valve covers. the factory valve covers wont fit the roller valve train.. currently junktarding it for the computer, wiring and a few other pieces.

orfordguy@yahoo.com

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
For
Engine Size
The bigger the better
Transmission
Manual
My credo
found a 91 crown vic 5.0 complete car at the junkyard.. will the wiring harness and computer work for the ranger 5.0 swap

ascentpro

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Even after offsetting my trans I had to notch my frame to fit the 1356 between the rails.

Elutheros

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The Crown Vic harness will work, but not without a lot of splicing. The ECU sits on the opposite side of the car making the harness too short to reach the normal Ranger ECU position and still connect to the C105 (big round connector driver side firewall). I took the connectors from the old v6 harness and re-pinned them and extended the harness to make it work. Some of the wire colors do not match the Harwood conversion manual, so having the EVTM for the Crown Vic is really helpful. I can send you most of what I did and how it compared to the Harwood instructions.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals