• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

AC only blows out of defroster

smoker_xr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
adjust HVAC control cables

Last summer my 91 Ranger XLT was blowing <60 degF air out of the defrost vents.

I looked in my Clymer manual on how to adjust the HVAC control cables (temp and vent selection). Did that, presto, problem solved!

Take the junk out of the glove box, squeeze the sides, and let it flop down. Slide the control cable to one side and re-adjust where the clamp attaches.

Sorry - can't remember which way to slide the two controls. :-(

Quiksurf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
the can should be black plastic with vacuum line/lines coming out of it.

blue_demon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I did find the fix for mine. The vacuum hose going to the heater control valve was disconnected.

downzero

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Where is the heater control valve on these trucks? I'm having the same problem! It's been driving me nuts.

Steve W

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3, bone stock
Transmission
Manual
Mine goes to the defrost vents, but only on max a/c. There's also a grey line that's unattached in the engine compartment, but the accumulator seems to have two lines going to it already.
Hmmm, I'm going to have to look again tomorrow!

downzero

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Mine goes to the defroster on all settings.

fatboyf150

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I did find the fix for mine. The vacuum hose going to the heater control valve was disconnected.
Mine goes to the defrost vents, but only on max a/c. There's also a grey line that's unattached in the engine compartment, but the accumulator seems to have two lines going to it already.
Hmmm, I'm going to have to look again tomorrow!
i have the same problem with my truck. after the guy put my engine in, he left the heat control vac line off. and for the life of me, i cant find where it goes. anyone have a vac diagram for these trucks. mines a 00 3.0 4x4 no vac hubs.

dsk9910

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
AC coming out of the Defrost

After weeks of reviewing forums and tearing all that could be removed and easily put back, I decided to check ALL the vacuum hoses from the inside dash ALL the way to the Bulb looking apparatus that has two vacuums running into it, one going to the dash and the other leading to what looks like the top of the engine into some sort of unit that governs the vacuum system i guess. What I found was the 18" run that ran to a coupling was closed off. It looked like the people i bought this truck from a few years ago broke off the special connector and just put what was left back into the fitting (coupling)....WELL i decided to remove it,, check it out and it was clogged like sink where NO AIR was getting through. I confirmed this by blowing through the tube or pipe. I took a piece of stiff wire and ran it through and lo and behold it appeared to be allowing AIR through it again. I securely tightened the fittings back, attached it back to the BULB unit by the left side of the engine near the cooling fan. I went to get back into the truck and put the AC to the front vents and the others and they ALL worked just as they should be. I got a estimate that this would run 350.00 to fix by Dwayne's Automotive in Rio Rancho, NM. Just for blowing through a pipe to clear out the debris. I hope this helps you save hundreds of dollars as well.

SO JUST CHECK TO SEE IF ANY VACUUMS ARE CLOGGED OR BROKEN OR DISCONNECTED..

PIECE

rangerkid91

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 L
Transmission
Manual
Ac and heat only blows out of the defrost.

I have a 1996 ford ranger with a 4.0. The heater and ac both work but only blows out of the defrost. Could my problem also be a vacuum problem? :icon_confused:

legoms013

09/2013 OTOTM
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 1996 ford ranger with a 4.0. The heater and ac both work but only blows out of the defrost. Could my problem also be a vacuum problem? :icon_confused:
yes vacuum problem. Check lines to vacuum canister/storage orb first...go from there. When there is a leak it defaults to defrost vents.

ranchero429

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have had this problem for a year and after reading for hours, I had bad cracked vacuum lines. It seemed like everyone was bad. replaced them and it does work properly now.

tomf16

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Can someone with the Mazda 2.3l, and working AC, take some pictures of how the vacuum lines are run?

tomf16

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Never mind, I found the vacuum line that plugged into the top of the bulb. I have that working again.

That_Evo_Guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I can confirm this issue is due to a vacuum leak someplace. I had the same thing and the line coming from the ball by the fenderwell had rubbed a hole in it from having been up against the hose from the AC compressor. I got some rubber tubing, spliced it on and sealed it and now I have AC blowing through all the vents again. Easy fix for me and I hope yours is as well.

hogvibrator

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
a/c to defrost vent

my truck (02 ,xlt, 2wd,2.3) had the same thing .i replaced the ball .its located under the air filter.when i took it off of the truck it rattled,so i cut it open and found that the top connection has a check valve.so if you check for vac leaks.that wont show as a leak.:icon_thumby:must have come off some how ,i cant complain the truck has 200k+ on it.good to go now!

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals