• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cheap LED Lights - Are They Worth Buying?

dieseldane

Supporting Member
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B2
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
If it doesn't fit, force it!
I have been on my local fire department for a while now, and have been wanting to get some lights for my personal vehicles. Right now I can't afford the name brand lights, and some google searches have led me to find some of the "chinese" knock offs that are less than half the price of something like the Whelen lights. Everyone I ask about the cheaper lights say they are junk, won't last, and not to buy them but none of them have ever tried them themselves. Just the "Well I have a friend whose cousin bought a dog from someone that had some" kind of thing.

Are they that bad? Or are they just trying to justify to themselves that they spent way more than they needed to?

Lil-Pony

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Take a Guess
Engine Size
2.8 soon to be 4bt
Transmission
Automatic
Dont know about the leds really i know cree brand is really good and reasonablly priced, i own some knock of hid 55w 4" lights similias to ruff stuffs and they are built really well. Qnd havent givin me any trouble.

Scrambler82

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/EDGE
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4.5" SL
Total Drop
WWWhhhaaattt !?!
Tire Size
33 x 12.50
IMHO, no, do not buy them if you want good lights.

Usually they do not last very long, just long enough for you to install them and get them working then one LED goes, then another. The China Companies know you won’t send them bad, first the distance and time and second they were cheap to begin with; don’t waste your money.

Save up and get some good one, you will be happier in the long run, they will work for years and if something does go wrong the larger companies will stand behind you.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Give sho me a look. I ran them for years, pretty reliable led and priced affordably. What color do yall run in os, red, or blue? I have some hideaway strobes and red strobes I can sell you if your interested. Pm me if you are...

SVT

Last edited:

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I got some for $20 off ebay, they are 6 led's in a rectangular shape about 2x4 inches. So far I've had no issues getting them underwater for over 30 minutes, covered in mud, sprayed with a pressure washer, etc. They are bright and work fine.

My beef was the the "good" name brand ones where $150 a piece. For that price I can buy 7 chinese knockoffs. When you look get the ones that a rated for mine use, they have a funky international standard but as I said so far they work great.

Sent from the road while ignoring traffic

dieseldane

Supporting Member
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B2
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Our department doesn't have any specific bylaws regarding color, but KS state law specifies red or a combination or red and blue. I thought about some hide away strobes, but don't know where I would put them on the front of the b2 with the sealed beam headlights? Don't really want headlight flashers. I was kinda leaning toward some of the type that go at the top of the windshield an some i could put in the back window of on the hatch. I would just get a lightbar or a mini lightbar, but I plan on putting a basket on the roof, and that would block the view from the rear.

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
I would stay away from the Chinese junk. You don't want them going bad while you're responding to a call, and most don't have any real warranty and customer service. Also, some of those lights are barely visible unless you have direct line of site eye contact with them.

I carry the Feniex line of LED in with my off-road lights, but have access to their emergency lighting as well as the Axixtech LED's.

If you wanted to do a basket, you could easily add LED's to the front and rear of it. Even mix in some clear steady burn for off-road/work lights.

I'm a member over at elightbars.org because I'm a collector, and I see some really good deals there from time to time. You should check it out.

dieseldane

Supporting Member
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B2
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
If you wanted to do a basket, you could easily add LED's to the front and rear of it. Even mix in some clear steady burn for off-road/work lights.
I had thought about doing that also.

I'm a member over at elightbars.org because I'm a collector, and I see some really good deals there from time to time. You should check it out.
Will do, thanks Jim!

EDIT: I had heard of the Feniex brand, but not the Axixtech. Tried to google them but didn't come up with much other than some site that sell them. Are they part of Brooking Industries? Can you point me somewhere where I could look at their stuff?

Last edited:

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15

Mahgongo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
X2 on the Feniex I have the work lights on my truck. one 20" on the bumper and one 40" on the roof. Pictures of them are in my signature.

crazyjp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Unsure if anyone still reading this thread but

not sure if any one who was posting on this thread is still around but i own some of those Chinese lights these ones to be exact http://www.ebay.com/itm/54-Yellow-AMBER-LED-Emergency-Warning-Strobe-Lights-Bars-for-Deck-Dash-Grille-/191422127218?vxp=mtr

there not the greatest but if you don't need em every day of the year there fine here's 2 videos of them in action
Night Time
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0iccN6TCkI
Day Time
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZmpnw0Qiok
if you don't care about the other shit i talk about in the video mute me i don't care

JustJoshinIt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have these. Easy to install, quality is not the greatest of course. I have em mounted in my dash, grill, and side of bumper. The ones outside have gotten worn out and faded and still work. SUPER bright at night, and cant see em at all during the day.
http://www.rakuten.com/prod/hqrp-blue-led-emergency-warning-strobe-lights-bars-for-deck-dash/250402220.html?listingId=286718179&sclid=pla_google_HQRP&adid=29963&gclid=CjwKEAjwiZitBRCy0pb3rIbG9XwSJACmuvvzKWM7y7h0ljk1dZCZgRd7u95qWpjcTqUeDLuNBAKh3RoC6Mnw_wcB

xcross

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have tried using them that is before I bought a Rigid Industries light bar. Honestly speaking, yes you are right if you aren't going to use it in a regular basis it will last longer. But the problem would be the casing and lens that would fade faster compared with my new light bat.

netcana

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
you need to buy led lights which are suitable & easy to fit an appropriate are of your apartment.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals