• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Leaking Valve Cover

Garrett Somero

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
I have a 96 B2300 with the 2.3l I4. It leaks from the top of the back of the engine. i believe that it is the valve cover gasket. It does not use oil, so its a slow leak. i cant find any info on this on here. i ordered the gasket, and it came with the needed gasket and also an intake and exhaust gasket. should i replace all of them when i have it apart? any help will be appreciated.

Mazda

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Not really a B-Specific question as your truck mechanically is a Ranger. Yes I would replace all the gaskets. Post this over in General Discussions or one of the 4 bangers forums and you will get a a lot more help.

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
If the 'exhaust and intake gaskets' are the manifold gaskets, and yours do not leak, I'd leave them on the shelf until needed. The exhaust will likely have rusty bolts, and they break off at the end of the threads many times and then need to be 'worked on'. Removing the intake is a multiple step process, and then you have to clean both the head and manifold surfaces before replacement.
You will have to remove the throttle body from the upper intake most likely to gain access to remove the cam cover. If you have the time, cleaning the cam cover and using glue to attach the gasket to the cover, aligning the bolt holes, will help prevent the gasket from oozing out from under the lip of the cover. Do not tighten too tight as the cam cover will deform where the bolt holes are, and you'll end up with the bolts tight, and the gasket elsewhere barely held in place(in the worst case).
tom

4EyedTurd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Did you order felpro gaskets? I've never had good luck with the rubber or cork ones. Get a Ford valve cover gasket as the are a molded reinforced one that doesn't blow out and reusable.

Garrett Somero

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
If the 'exhaust and intake gaskets' are the manifold gaskets, and yours do not leak, I'd leave them on the shelf until needed. The exhaust will likely have rusty bolts, and they break off at the end of the threads many times and then need to be 'worked on'. Removing the intake is a multiple step process, and then you have to clean both the head and manifold surfaces before replacement.
You will have to remove the throttle body from the upper intake most likely to gain access to remove the cam cover. If you have the time, cleaning the cam cover and using glue to attach the gasket to the cover, aligning the bolt holes, will help prevent the gasket from oozing out from under the lip of the cover. Do not tighten too tight as the cam cover will deform where the bolt holes are, and you'll end up with the bolts tight, and the gasket elsewhere barely held in place(in the worst case).
tom
thank you for the information. my intake and exhaust do not leak, so i will leave them in. but as for the glue, what kind should i use? I have had the throttle body off before when i replaced plugs and wires.

Garrett Somero

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
no i did not get felpro gaskets, i got a rubber one. i will check into getting a ford one.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
The rubber gaskets work fine...if you need to remove them you will find they are slightly stretched but they do go on again with no leaks. I stopped using the cork VC gaskets many years ago and never looked back.

Mazda

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Garrett,

Look into getting one of these when you need to do the spark plugs. Saves you from having to take off the intake. I have had it for 15 years of so and can do mine sp in a half and hour or so.

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
mark_88: can you name a vendor of rubber gaskets for the 2.3?

mazda: who makes the floppy plug / extension dealy?

tom

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
mark_88: can you name a vendor of rubber gaskets for the 2.3?

mazda: who makes the floppy plug / extension dealy?

tom
Sure tomw...I can give you a link but I never bought mine on-line...Canadian Tire carried them up until recently when I bought the last one...maybe 4 years ago...

http://www.summitracing.com/int/search/part-type/valve-cover-gaskets/make/ford/engine-size/2-3l-140

They are Fel-Pro on this site but I never bothered to check the ones I bought...may have been the same or just different name on the box...can't remember.

Mazda

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Mazda... went to the site(thinking the name was Wesell, german?) and found the Great Neck extension & socket combo. ON SALE!! $3 instead of $13.99, such a deal.

I have the HF wobble extensions and have recommended them to anyone needing to get at fasteners that were 'just a little offset, and if I had.. I would not have to remove ___'. They are especially good for removing bell housing bolts without having to reach over the cylinder head, (except maybe to break them loose for the first time since assembly back when) and work on starter motor bolts well also.

I had bought a Rennsler? Goetz? Dietz?, German name anyway, gasket that was supposed to be rubber from Amazon, but it turned out to be, IMO, mostly cork with maybe some rubber mixed into the compound.
tom

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
The rubber gaskets are over $50 in Canada...I had three of them but they got tossed when I decided to upgrade my engine...someone in the junkyard was happy...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals