• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

needs alignment?

Guilius

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
actually it needs more than that!

So after a weekend of hard wheeling i was expecting something like this as my ranger loves to eat wheel bearings, and it's about due.

so i pulled everything apart getting ready to swap them out and to my amazement it was not the bearings!

here are the pictures......i think it;'s my tie rod end......i think it needs to be adjusted? the upper and lower ball joints are solid (just replaced last year too) and nothing else is loose up front.

the passenger's side tire is perfextly straight ahead like it should be.....but the drivers side........not so good! any thoughts?

Attachments

GOskidmark

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Something must be bent. I would check the threads on the toe adjusting sleeve, to make sure the threads are still there and not striped out. That is all I can think of at the moment. :icon_confused:

Guilius

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
well, after i got home from work, and waitied for the loveley rain to pass i went under it and looked around. i noticed nothing bent, but adjusted the sleeve so the tire was straight.
i thought everything was great until i went to drive out of the driveway and it almost shook me out of the seat!
i stopped and poked around some more and noticed the beam was.....well, nearly split in half right at the sway bar bracket! that explains the odd angle of the tire and why it leans like a drunken one legged sailor on shore leave.

Attachments

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I take it you were driving it around without the differential pinch bolt in place behind the radius arm?

Guilius

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
apparently it snapped. the thread was still in the bottom and the top was under the radius arm but it was rattling around when i looked at it in depth last night. it snapped at the bottom. dont know how or when but i know it was in there when i did my gear swap.

it would also explain the gear oil leak i had.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals