• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Got A Question?

Swamp_Nut14

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Credo?... what's that?
Hey guys. I had a question. as of right now I have a 2004 2wd ford ranger edge. I've done a few things to it. Nothing spectacular or crazy. But what did get my gears turning inside my head was to possibly convert the truck to 4x4.

Yes yes yes, I've heard it just sell the truck and don't bother. But i want to be able to say I built that and made the way it is. Took it from its stock form and made it in my own unique vision.

The idea was to purchase a jeep cherokee like '95-96. That isn't running or broken down, and take the transfer case, driveshafts, and front and rear axles (and front suspension components if I need them)
It'll be a divorced transfer case with coil springs up front.

Could it possibly work? Would the cherokee axles be to narrow? Should I look for a full size bronco?

Swamp_Nut14

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Credo?... what's that?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I'd get 4x4 trans in there with a married Ford case rather than try a divorced Jeep case. First off, making a married case a divorced one is about as much fun, and as cheap, as an actual divorce. Second, it will allow the use of factory drive shafts instead of requiring new ones be custom made.

Jeep axles are usually good choices for SAS, the FSB axle will have two major draw backs in you case.

1) It is a TTB, not a solid, which will make the swap exceedingly difficult, since your frame is not meant to accept a TTB axle.

2) It is much too wide.

A shoebox Bronco would be preferred to a FSB in this case, but since those are pretty rare the Jeep axle would be better. I

Swamp_Nut14

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Credo?... what's that?
I'd get 4x4 trans in there with a married Ford case rather than try a divorced Jeep case. First off, making a married case a divorced one is about as much fun, and as cheap, as an actual divorce. Second, it will allow the use of factory drive shafts instead of requiring new ones be custom made.

Jeep axles are usually good choices for SAS, the FSB axle will have two major draw backs in you case.

1) It is a TTB, not a solid, which will make the swap exceedingly difficult, since your frame is not meant to accept a TTB axle.

2) It is much too wide.

A shoebox Bronco would be preferred to a FSB in this case, but since those are pretty rare the Jeep axle would be better. I
I thought about getting a new trans and transfer case, i thought it would be eaiser to just make a divorced case because it's hard to find a 3.0l v6 4x4 ranger on the cheap to take parts from. Most rangers in south florida are either the 4.0l or really expensive 3.0l to get parts from

Sent from my SPH-L710T using Tapatalk

Swamp_Nut14

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Credo?... what's that?
Can i just use a divorced transfer case?

Sent from my SPH-L710T using Tapatalk

Timmy!!!

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Are you 3.0l? I'll have a 4wd Transmission, Tcase, and ifs Dana 30 off of a 4.0 sohc going up for sale in the near future

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Are you 3.0l? I'll have a 4wd Transmission, Tcase, and ifs Dana 30 off of a 4.0 sohc going up for sale in the near future

Your 4.0 trans wont bolt to his 3.0....also...You have a D35.

Timmy!!!

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That's why I asked if 3.0. Regardless, lots of parts being ripped out and possibly going to the junkyard

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
Hey guys. I had a question. as of right now I have a 2004 2wd ford ranger edge. I've done a few things to it. Nothing spectacular or crazy. But what did get my gears turning inside my head was to possibly convert the truck to 4x4.

Yes yes yes, I've heard it just sell the truck and don't bother. But i want to be able to say I built that and made the way it is. Took it from its stock form and made it in my own unique vision.

The idea was to purchase a jeep cherokee like '95-96. That isn't running or broken down, and take the transfer case, driveshafts, and front and rear axles (and front suspension components if I need them)
It'll be a divorced transfer case with coil springs up front.

Could it possibly work? Would the cherokee axles be to narrow? Should I look for a full size bronco?

edge? if it has the torsion bar suspension you can just bolt factory shit in there and have 4x4.:dunno:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals