• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Speedo ticks when using signals, brakes, and power windows

Caesar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Automatic
The speedo (which is off by between 3-5 mph) in my 98 Mazda B4000 temporarily decreases in speed when I tap the brakes, touch the power windows, or use the turn signals. It only does it for a split second and then it goes back to the normal speed. When using the turn signals it pulsates or ticks back and forth. It only happens when going over 40-50 mph and it doesn't do it while the headlights are on. It does tick when I turn the headlights on, but after they are on it behaves normally. It seems to occur when there is a sudden spike in amperage and then it stops. The drop in speed doesn't seem to effect the shifting, although it is only for a split second here and there.

Could this be an issue inside the GEM module? I know the speed signal goes from the rear axle to the GEM and then branches out to the rear abs module, the dash, the ECU, and cruise. Or could there be a short between the GEM and the cluster? What should I zero in on or what area should I focus on to get to the root of this issue?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
More likely a dying alternator, dying battery, or loose connection somewhere.

Caesar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks man, I was considering mentioning the alternator as a possible culprit based on findings in other threads and forums. I have never seen this exact issue described, but I have read that dying alternators can cause all types of electrical issues and gremlins. I replaced the battery not too long ago so I can cross that off.

You really know your stuff man, I have learned a lot from reading your responses to all types of issues. Any specific test I can do on my alternator to see if it is functioning properly besides checking the drop in voltage at the battery during electric loads?

Caesar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Automatic
So I busted out the voltmeter and took some readings. The battery reads 13V even with ignition off. With engine on at idle it reads 14.4V. I placed a load on it and it only dipped to 14.3V. That was with headlights, heater blower, hazards, radio + amp, wipers, and even power windows going. Is that normal? Or does that indicate possible over voltage?

I am going to test it again tomorrow by increasing the rpms to 1500 and see what kind of voltage it cranks out. The dash indicator reads slightly below center and I have never seen the battery indicator light come on while driving. Is there any connections I should scrutinize, especially grounds?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals