• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

speedo problem

nickels918

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I hate to make a new thread but i cant find my problem to save my life. I have a 98 ranger 5 speed 2wd. i got the truck a couple weeks ago. When i first got it the speedo didn't work at all. I hooked the snap on souls pro to it and as i was driving it didn't get a reading on the speed. I have check engine light. po500 and my abs light is on. Well today i was driving and when i put a load it will go to zero but when i let off the gas it will jump up to the speed i think i was going. In the glove box was a bwd box with the vss in it. I replaced the used on in the box with the one in use the other day but it didn't make any changes. Also when i have the truck lifted in the air and running im getting power to the vss and its power is pulsating out. Does anybody have any ideas to send me in the right direction?

Btw im sorry for making a new thread but im new and i couldnt find anything to help me out.

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Sounds like the tone ring in the pumpkin is worn, detached or broken.

A worse thought is that the rear gears/bearings are so worn, the tone ring is too distant from the VSS for it to read. If so, you should have slop and noise when rolling.

Welcome to The Ranger Station!

nickels918

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
theres no noise when im driving. but if i let of the gas and get back on it jerks like theres play in something. i hope the gears arnt warn. theres only 160xxx miles on it.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
If your getting a reading/pulse,, then your tone ring is most likely ok. I say most likely cause it could be missing a tooth or bent tone ring. I'd look at your abs module...

SVT

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It's 2wd, VSS goes straight to GEM.
ABS uses VSS, but does nothing to condition the raw signal, like the 4WABS module does.

He lets off the gas, Speedo jumps from zero to actual. That's mechanical, not electrical IMO.

nickels918

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
ok. last nite i crawled underneath the truck and the plug right befor the wires go into the cab. well i un plugged them and checked the connections. the ones for vss where green and had like a slimy hair things on it. i cleaned it up the best i could. well now when i drive it wont work intill i get over 30mph then it works fine after driven 10 miles it stops working and the speedo just jumps around.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals