• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Speedometer Problems [Check here first] --->

dennis461

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Jeep
Engine Size
3.0l
Transmission
Automatic
My 1996 speedometer would occasionally stick at around 50mph, but come back down overnight. A purely mechanical problem.
It got worse over time, had to replace the head unt.

Tader82

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
will i tore in to the dash and the wiring harness looks like i get to by a new anti-lock brake controller yey:bawling:
i will be posting a walk throught on the pin testing of the anti-lock brake control for a bad abs ss

olranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
what about the speedo fluctuates only when you hit bumps or dips/other than that it does pretty good:icon_confused:

Tader82

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
will it was not the abs unit. to my surprise it was the ALTERNATOR!!!!!!!!!!!!! it seems that one of the diodes blowup. after getting my truck back from the body shop after being re-ended the alt. died on my on the way home. put the new one in and BAAAAAM now the dam thing works better then new :( lol. a hole year hunting it down to be a stupid alt. lol

olranger check the alt. i was having the same prob bumps caused it to miss up, for it to work right i had to be at the right rpm, or under full throttle, other then that it was all over the place

and it started with just bumps causing it

hyperzone

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
fluctuating speedo

My 89 ranger is a 5speed manual with the 2.3L 4banger. I've had it for over 2 years now and its always had this problem where the speedometer jumps around alot. Sometimes it will totally peg itself out and other times it will go to zero. Most of the time it floats "around" the speed it should be reading but constantly waivering higher and lower. Smacking the dash DOES have some sort of effect because it will jump higher and lower by alot when I do this. Any ideas/suggestions?

arownious

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I have a 1995 2.3L Ranger XLT and the speedometer and odometer stopped working. The engine light is on so I'm guessing thats related to this issue.

I've found a rockauto.com replacement VSS but not sure if this is going to work. Anyone have any experience with rockauto and this unit? Its $10, should I bite?

Update: Went ahead and got a local VSS unit I could eye before bringing home. Autozone for $19 duralast I believe. Anyways so I installed it and had to really force the thing in. Bolted it on, and the check engine light is off, but still no speedometer. Also changed out the instrument panel and speedometer fuses and still nothing.

Last edited:

trish

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
hummer
Transmission
Automatic
My '98 Rangers' speedo & odo work when they want (I just drove some 200 miles and have 17 miles driven indicated). In the mornings it will work for about 10 minutes (daily) then go dead (speedo & odo) and lightly bunping the steering wheel or dash does nothing.
At times when it is working fine I may notice that the speedo starts to bounce around I can bump the steering wheel and it starts working ok for a short time but eventually just quits for the rest of my commute then when I get ready to go home from work and it works again for a very short time.

Update: 5/12/09
Read resistance of ABS speed sensor when cold or cooled off and the reading was 1.2k ohms. I drove the Ranger until it quit then drove back and quickly took another reading it it read open.
Replaced ABS wheel sensor and all appears nornal, tomorrows drive to work will tell.
Didn't have to wait as it quit working again.
To be continued.
It could be the bulbs are burnt out and have to replace them. I just replaced one of my front blinker lights. Taking out the bulb I can see the filament is broken.

Last edited:

fordusa67

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD!!
Transmission
Manual
Hi everyone, im a newbie lol...

so the problem is i bought a 94' ranger 4.0 5-speed, with 3.55 gears....well right around 65mph the speedo will start fluxuating and it will continue past 85mph.......however it is not consistent, sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesnt...ok the weird part, when the needle starts to fluxuate i can here something in the dash makin an "EEHHHHHHHHH" noise if that makes any sense haha

so basically what im asking is what do ya'll think the problem is, the dealership is gonna put a new gauge in it, because thats what they think the problem is, we already replaced the speed sensor in the tranny..

any and all help would be appreciated!

THANK YOU!!
Jake

ivrb

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 exp
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
on my 2000 I've replaced the vss on the diff and it still sometimes sticks on acceleration and sometimes on deceleration, what could it be? the Speedo itself?

I see these problems pop up all over the place so I figured I would try to consolidate the information in one place.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong or contribute to what I write here.

Problem - "The speedometer in my 1999 Ranger fluctuates or doesn't work until I hit 30MPH. What's wrong?

Answer - The 1998-2000 Rangers are not equipped with a VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor). The PCM (Powertrain Control Module) receives vehicle speed information from the antilock brake system rear wheel speed sensor. The raw signal from the ABS/VSS sensor on the rear axle goes directly to the Explorer 4WABS module where the signal is corrected for tire diameter. Then the corrected signal is sent out on the gray/black to the PCM, speed control, cluster, etc. In this system, the PCM is an end user of the corrected VSS signal.

The problem is usually found in the ABS speed sensor on top of the differential in your rear axle.

Remove the rear wheel speed sensor from the axle housing.

Connect a Digital Volt/Ohm Meter (DVOM) across the two sensor terminals and record the reading.

The reading should be between 0.8 and 1.4 k Ohms.

If not, replace the sensor.

Problem - "The speedometer on my '96 Ranger quits working sometimes."

Answer - From 1995-1997, check the VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) on the transmission/transfercase. Could be bad.

Turn off vehicle and disconnect the VSS cable. Using a Digital Volt-Ohmmeter (DVOM), measure the resistance (DVOM ohmmeter function) between the sensor terminals on the VSS (not the cable). If the resistance is 190-250 ohms, the sensor is okay.

Problem - "The speedometer in my 1993 Ranger fluctuates. What's wrong?"

Answer - Your 1983-1994 Ranger uses a speedometer cable (mechanical). The problem could be anything from binding, worn or broken gear teeth on the speedometer gear, a worn out cable assembly or dirt/contamination causing the needle to stick.

I don't see much on the 2001 and newer Rangers with speedometer problems, they have a different set up then the 1998-2000 models. Starting in 2001, the raw speed signal from the OSS (Output Shaft Speed) sensor on the transmission goes directly to the Ranger PCM (Powertrain Control Module) where it is corrected for tire diameter and axle ratio. The PCM then outputs the corrected VSS pulse the speed control and the cluster. In this system the PCM is the correction and distribution point for the VSS signal.

tvan56

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Just had a prob. with my 98 ranger speedo. Just quit. Only one VSS on rear.
Had output. Found test connection up front and had output. Ohm readings
in spec also. No DTC's, no ABS light on. Figured speedo was culprit. Took
cluster out and inspected. Nothing looked awry. The individual gauges are
held in place by clips that are supposed to be replaced with new units when
swapping gauges. So I decided to just wiggle the clips to reseat them. BINGO.
Started working. Took unit back out and applied some contact cleaner/enhancer to all contact points. They must be a toothed affair, as while gently twisting and applying downwards pressure, I felt new tooth
engagement. I used Deoxit by Caig. GOOD STUFF I have seen wonders
with the stuff working on old tube radio switches.
Drove the truck 20 mi. so far. Not a stutter.
Might explain why some people had some results using the "Zenith" method.
Banging on the dash. Old TV's sometimes seem to respond to a good whack!
Just thought I would pass on my experience.
Tvan56

BTlilred

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
my oil pressure needle is on the wrong side of the peg. any easy way of fixing this or would i be better off just swapping?

lionheart2202

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
1996 ford ranger vehicle speed sensor

where is vehicle speed sensor located on my 1996 ranger, its a 4 cylinder, 2 wheel drive, standard

ptwob311

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
old thread revived...

2000 ranger 4 cylinder manual transmission, 240,000 miles
speedo doing the bouncing around thing.

Under a load (accel/decel) it works fine. Trying to hold a speed, it's all over the place. Furthermore, the truck seems to "hesitate" or get a sudden "load" that are becoming more and more frequent and coincide with the speedo jumping all around. Lastly, If I push in the clutch and coast, it works like a champ... while coasting if I press the gas peddle the speedo moves (almost in sync with the throttle) but once at idle RPM.. speedo works again.

What I've done so far
1) replaced the rear wheel speed sensor on the rear end
2) tested alternator (and diodes)... all good
3) checked all fuses associated with the system.. all good

where to go from here????:dunno:
any suggestions or comments greatly appreciated.

compnecessity

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6 Cyl 4.0 liter
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 98 Forbesidesr XLT with the 4.0 engine. My issue is driving the vehicle 11 to15 miles the speedometer and odometer quit working.which could be heat related I'm assuming a solder point is getting loose. Any chance this problemis something else besides in the instrument cluster?

Luke94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
A god dang 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Awesome so glad i found this thread! Speedo fluctuates. Im hoping from what ive read from this thread that ill be able to get it figured out before i get a speeding ticket for going to fast thanks to my speedo being off (small town problems)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals