• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

NEED HELP 2000 4.0 w/Check Engine Light issues

kpilk43

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
Any one that can help I would appreciate it alot. I have a 2000 Ranger with a 4.0 V6. It has had a Check Engine Light on for a while. Scanned it and got a P0171 and P0174 code(Bank 1 & 2 system to lean) I was told to clean the MAF sensor and after the second or third cleaning in 2 weeks didnt work I replaced it. It went off for a few weeks then came back on (didnt do a whole lot of extended driving during those weeks) so I tried new spark plugs,fuel filter, air filter,oil and oil filter and those didnt work either. So my next step was to take it to Ford and pay the $89.00 diagnostic fee. Ford said both upstream O2 sensors were reading "lazy" and needed to be replaced. I declined their $465.00 service to change the 2 out and went to Napa and bought and replaced all 3 O2 sensors ($137.00) myself,cleared the codes once again and a week later here I am still showing codes P0171 & P0174. I really dont want to take it back to Ford if I can help it but my tag expires at the end of the month and in NC you cant renew the tag until you pass the yearly emmissions test. So if any one has any ideas for me I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks :beer:

cr_the_machinist

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Automatic
I'd inspect for a vacuum leak. Also, take a fuel pressure pressure reading at the rail. If nothing weird surfaces between those two, then I would check the impedance of each fuel injector. They should ohm out very very close to one an other.

Check the vacuum hose that runs from the TB to the EVAP purge valve and the HVAC vacuum coupling hose (under coolant/windshield washer tanks). They dry rot with age and could cause a leak. I would look at those first.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals