• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

08 Ranger - which model/options best for towing?

stonecoldranger

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Hi, my first post on this forum.

I have always liked the ranger, and with the combination of my lifestyle; boats, sleds, snow, water, backwoods & my location; big city... the Ranger is the probably the best vehicle for me.

I almost bought one a few years ago, but opted for a car...

now with the price of these vehicles off the lot and 0% finanicing I'm really looking hard at them again.

What I want to know is what is the best model and option package for towing?

I am looking at a 4x4 sport 4.0 model or the FX4 - Auto for either

the sport comes with the 3.73 gears and the optional tow package or you can select the 4.10 with ltd slip that is standard on the FX4

I'm confused as to what the differences are, and what would be better for my towing.

I will be pulling occasionally a 3500lbs boat/trailer and my sled in the winter @ 1200lbs or in the bed... which is another topic...

thanks in advance!

prls1power

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.3L ^_^
Transmission
Manual
Well, if your really focused on your towing, go for the FX-4, the 4.10 gear ratio is better suited for it. But since your gonna only occasionally tow, then go for the Sport with the 3.73s.

With the 3.73's your gonna get better gas mileage and probably better acceleration. But if your more focused on towing and maybe even going off road, the 4.10 with the limited slip is definetly the way to go.

Personally, i'd go with the FX-4. By the way, the FX-4 has a better resale value than the sport if the matters. I've been stuck on a slippery boat ramp before, because i don't have the limited slip, it isn't fun. So save your self any trouble and go with the FX-4. :icon_cheers:

stonecoldranger

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
thanks for the reply. I here you with resale and the fx4 is a nice rig.

what kind of mileage difference do you think there would be between the 4.10 LSD and the 3.73?

also, there are sport models on the lot that have 3.72 rear ends with the LSD. comments on that?

thanks! :icon_cheers:

cr_the_machinist

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Automatic
I have a '99 Ranger Sport 4x4 with the 8.8 3.73 LSD. I don't do a lot of towing but I haul firewood, mulch, and the occasional helping my buds move. It does very well, the limited slip works dreams! I get like ~17 mpg with the 4.0 driving it easy. Pretty good set-up if your a week-end worrier.

hihoslvr

Banned
--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'04
Make / Model
F.O.R.D.
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, I been dreaming about a new Sport model: 4.0, 4spd auto, and a 3:73 LSD! I got the 4:10 w/open diff, and I don't really tow, can't help but wonder how much better my life would be with a new truck... :rolleyes:

I get about 20mpg (got the 3.0), so I guess I'll stick with it for now...

Last edited:

prls1power

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.3L ^_^
Transmission
Manual
Well, I got lots of rangers in my family. I've been told by my one my old uncles that he's getting 17-18mpg's, he has an 4.0L Ranger open diff. with 3.73's. One of my cousins that lives in Puerto Rico has a brand spankin new FX-4 with the 4.10's for about 4 months now, he told me he was getting 15mpg's on average around town.

So its not that much of a difference in gas mileage, but the difference in what you can and can't do is.

stonecoldranger

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
so I am now looking at a 5 speed manual FX4 - 4.10 with the limited slip.

how will the 5speed react on a ramp with a 3500lb rig? and for towing in general?

I'd prefer a 5spd overall and better mileage, but very concerned about being on a ramp with it.........

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
No doubt an auto is better on the ramp--and a 4x4 is way better. I had a 15' Zodiac boat a long time ago--about 400# with motuer, and a 150# trailer. I got stuck trying to pull it out of Lake Erie and had to enlist a couple Ohio fat-bodies (there are plenty) to sit in the pickup box to allow sufficient action on the concrete via the rear tyres to extract said vessel.

But these things are all gas hogs. A 4-cylinder Ranger can get all the same jobs done. They come with the same transmissions and frames. You might not have the same torque and power, and you might have to enlist fatbodies (I hear other places besides Ohio provide them, convieniently, at boat ramps) but you can get the same work done and get a few more limes per gallon the other 350 days a year when you aren't recreating.

Southern3.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'96
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3, what a turd...
Transmission
Manual
Yea but who REALLY wants to drive a 4 banger truck?

I have one and sure as hell dont want to.

07rangersport

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I love my sport with 3.73 LS..... I've pulled a chevy express van out of a snow bank, it was up hill and was wet.... we found out later that the van weighed 7000 lbs with all the tools and ladders!! And your concern with mileage.. On a recent trip, all highway I got 24.9mpg.. just some thoughts to ponder

prls1power

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.3L ^_^
Transmission
Manual
Stonecold, if your good at driving manual then should have no problem, you gotta have good clutch control though on the ramp or you'll burn it up real quick. If its only 3500LB then you'll be fine. But you should really go with the auto though if your really serious about the towing. :icon_cheers:

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
i use 4 low when pulling up boat ramps. i had a 4 cyl s/c with 2wd 5 spd and 3.73's and while it gave me nice hwy milage, it cant hold a candle to the 4.0 in tourque. alot of times running empty up I-71 to cleveland id be downshifting to 4rth and even 3rd on long upgrades, the 4.0 5 spd i have now went on a round trip through eastern kentucky and western WV. lots of upgrades there, esp in WV. the 4.0 handled it with ease, never left 5th gear, never dropped more than 5 mph with cruise control on. the most i ever pulled with the '88 2.3 was a '77 starcraft boat, about 1,500 pounds. dont know what ive pulled with the 4.0 and my 6x10 trailer. it weighs 1,000 empty but ive never weighed it when loaded. the big load with it is frontal area, the trailer is taller than the truck and even with a V-nose, the wind resistance is quite a load on the motor. 4.10's might help, but ive got 2 differentials to regear, 4.56 would be a better choice, but would be too low for daily driving. ive thought about smaller rear tires for just towing. but thats alot of work (and would just look weird) for the times im towing. for the most part the 4.0 ohv and 3.73's get the job done just fine. and low range (with hubs unlocked) helps alot when backing into tight spots or using boat ramps. i get 18-19 not towing and about 15 in town or towing.
________
Chrysler Imperial picture

Last edited:

stonecoldranger

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
so I picked up an 06 Sport 4x4. I assume it has the 3.73 and no limited slip.

great gas mileage as far as I'm concerned. 20+mpg on the highway and about 14 while towing the rig (3300lbs +/-). put it in 4 high on the ramp and a low gear and no problems pulling it out.

couldn't be happier with this little truck. :)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals