• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Prerunner suspension ideas

jwknight12

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
1990 Ford ranger xlt . bought it for $130 like this..

Tore the bed and fenders off, painted and became this...

Gutted the fenders and remounted them on...

I need some prerunner suspension ideas, this will be getting some air so looking for long travel suspension ideas, front and rear.. so please give me a link to suspension that ill need to make it stable if its catching air or info and pics of your own prerunner.please.. thanks everyone:icon_thumby:

prerunin554

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
my truck:

camburg 4.5 over beams/extended radius arms, deaver leafs. Front i am running 2.5 14"travel c/o's, 2.5 2" stroke hydrolic bumpstops, 2.5 18" stroke smooth body w/ resi's in the rear. All shocks are FOA. caged bumper to bumper.

prerunin554

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
so am i, thats why you dont see a 4 link rear set up.:D

84projectFORD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
well honestly if you guys plan on jumpin it and racin around, your first goal should be to put a cage in it. For as old as you guys are, you still have tons of life to live. No use in gettin hurt and never bein able to walk again, feed your own self or die. Ask raceranger about his buddies close incident when his boddy rolled his truck. Now he is cagin his truck.

prerunin554

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
well honestly if you guys plan on jumpin it and racin around, your first goal should be to put a cage in it. For as old as you guys are, you still have tons of life to live. No use in gettin hurt and never bein able to walk again, feed your own self or die. Ask raceranger about his buddies close incident when his boddy rolled his truck. Now he is cagin his truck.
Thats why i am caging mine :D

jwknight12

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
i dont wanna jump it big i just want it to handle the woops and bumps.. im more less just going for the prerunner look because its my daily driver. no big air at all

84projectFORD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
well i understand that but even still, when you hittin whoops at 30+ or jump at all, all it take is one little miss hap and your into a tree or rollin off a ledge.

Now for your suspension, there is nothing cheap that will make it handle lke you want. you can extend your radius arms (should be your first mod) so the suspension will have a little better travel. then you will have to invest into some valveable shocks (rancho shocks with the variable setting dont count) so they are set up for your truck and will work through the whoops and jumps. Lift springs for the front wouldnt hurt either to give a bit more travel. the rear springs will need to be something like deavers or comprable. stock or other vehicle springs dont sork for whoops or jumps as they have nearly no preload in them and they will cause the rear end to buck and slam around

jwknight12

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
well i understand that but even still, when you hittin whoops at 30+ or jump at all, all it take is one little miss hap and your into a tree or rollin off a ledge.

Now for your suspension, there is nothing cheap that will make it handle lke you want. you can extend your radius arms (should be your first mod) so the suspension will have a little better travel. then you will have to invest into some valveable shocks (rancho shocks with the variable setting dont count) so they are set up for your truck and will work through the whoops and jumps. Lift springs for the front wouldnt hurt either to give a bit more travel. the rear springs will need to be something like deavers or comprable. stock or other vehicle springs dont sork for whoops or jumps as they have nearly no preload in them and they will cause the rear end to buck and slam around
i was going to run foa shocks for the rear off my roll cage (in progress) and take the leafs out and run the joints off the frame with limit straps.. good or bad? if you know what im tallking about.lol

prerunin554

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

jwknight12

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
3 link rear end .. sorry i dont know all the terms yet im only 15.... how much do deaver springs run? would i get any travel out of them?

Last edited:

84projectFORD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
deavers run about 300-700 bucks depending if you find them new or used. You will get about 16-17 inches of travel out of a deaver leaf pack depending on what length shock you run. I kinda think a 3 link will over your head for ya and put lo9ts of down time on your truck but dont let me hold you back, if your set on doin that go for it! Id love to see you learn and watch you progress though your build when buildin a 3 link. Ill make sure to help you all can

prerunin554

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
a properly set up 3 link will cost aproximately $3,000 - $5,000. You have already stated you have no money. Stick with the leaf springs until you get a hang of the dirt and fully/properly cage the truck. You dont need the travel until you can be sure to be safe yourself.

jwknight12

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
a properly set up 3 link will cost aproximately $3,000 - $5,000. You have already stated you have no money. Stick with the leaf springs until you get a hang of the dirt and fully/properly cage the truck. You dont need the travel until you can be sure to be safe yourself.

ya truee.. thanks guys for the opinions

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals