• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Brake Booster ????

budro

V8 Engine Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 92 Ranger 4x4 Super Cab 4.0 V6. Have a weird problem with the brake pedal. Bleeding it with the engine off on all 4 wheels gives me a rock hard pedal. Start it up and the pedal same as goes to the floor to stop. I replaced the back brake shoes cause some of the hardware was broken when i was troubleshooting this problem. So new brakes on back the pads on front are better than 50%. I get a swoosh sound just when i push the pedal not a continous vacuum sound when i hold the pedal down. I have had boosters go bad before but they usually make a continous vacuum leak as you keep it held down and usually the pedal gets hard to push. It never bleeds down to where i have to pump it once to hold, to make me think its a master cylinder Anyone else run into a similar problem?

budro

V8 Engine Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 92 Ranger 4x4 Super Cab 4.0 V6. Have a weird problem with the brake pedal. Bleeding it with the engine off on all 4 wheels gives me a rock hard pedal. Start it up and the pedal same as goes to the floor to stop. I replaced the back brake shoes cause some of the hardware was broken when i was troubleshooting this problem. So new brakes on back the pads on front are better than 50%. I get a swoosh sound just when i push the pedal not a continous vacuum sound when i hold the pedal down. I have had boosters go bad before but they usually make a continous vacuum leak as you keep it held down and usually the pedal gets hard to push. It never bleeds down to where i have to pump it once to hold, to make me think its a master cylinder Anyone else run into a similar problem?
Forgot to mention new wheel cylinders were installed in the rear as well.

cocoasranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Did you replace the brake master cylinder? If so, check the booster adjustable rod for proper length; if too short the pedal will go way down before stopping.

budro

V8 Engine Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Nope havent replaced it as it holds pressure. The pedal never goes to the floor or bleeds of like symptoms of a master cylinder.

Thinking possibly the RABS Valve???

budro

V8 Engine Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Found Problem

Found out what was going on finally after staring at the rear brakes for a while comparing pics to the manual. The previous owner had put the shoes on backwards. They had the fronts on the back side and back on front. Just assumed they were right and put the new ones on the same way. The adjusters would never adjust up right. Flipped them back the right way and boom instant hard pedal with the engine running. Just FYI for anyone else if you are having any similar problems.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals