• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Best clutch for 87 ranger 4x4 high rider

TDumas

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
What is best clutch

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I believe your best cheap clutch upgrade is going to be a 4.0L clutch swap, there should be lots of posts about it along with maybe a tech library entry... from memory (never done one) you need a 4.0L clutch and flywheel and maybe a different starter, gains a lot of surface area...

Short of that you're stuck with something more expensive like what I had to do on my 2.3L (4.0L clutch swap doesn't work on the 2.3L), I bought a stock replacement Centerforce friction disc and their pressure plate with the weights on the fingers, it's been amazing and I recommend it a lot but there's no kit that I know of with those parts and it was over $300 for the parts where the 4.0L clutch could be done for around 2/3 of that...

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
4.0 clutch swap requires a clutch kit, flywheel, 4.0 manual starter and block plate.

A lot of people try to skip the block plate, it is a 100% must have, as it locates the starter.

If you have a 2.9 and want to upgrade that is the best bet. I personally prefer NAPA clutch kits, they are made by LUK which is the OE manufacturer for Ford. Good quality parts.

TIGGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I’m using the original 2.9 block plate on my 4.0 clutch conversion. All I had to do was to file out the opening ever so slightly for the starter to fit. I’ve had no issues for 15 years and 80k. Still going strong. Best upgrade I ever did to my truck.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I’m using the original 2.9 block plate on my 4.0 clutch conversion. All I had to do was to file out the opening ever so slightly for the starter to fit. I’ve had no issues for 15 years and 80k. Still going strong. Best upgrade I ever did to my truck.
I did the same. The hole only needs to be widened by couple millimeters (not so much you can't do it with a large half-round file if you go at it carefully and evenly). Been maybe 12 years now since I did mine.

I can see how not having the block plate at all would cause issues though.

And ×2 on LuK clutches. I've seen enough issues with other brands to warrant avoiding them (squealing probably being the most common).

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I did the same. The hole only needs to be widened by couple millimeters (not so much you can't do it with a large half-round file if you go at it carefully and evenly). Been maybe 12 years now since I did mine.

I can see how not having the block plate at all would cause issues though.
I saw a thread a while ago (a few years now) where someone did the 4.0 clutch to a 2.9 without doing anything with the block plate and really buggered up their starter from it being in too close.

But yes, if you have the skill you could just file it out a bit, the difference is minimal. I just don't like to assume people have certain skills. The people who have them know, and will use them. The people who don't often don't know and will screw things up trying.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals