• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Trans seal

Npribb

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
My bronco 2 keeps puking. Front input shaft seal what to do stop this?

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
IIRC, there is mention of this as a problem on some trans. Check in the "How to Tech" or maybe "Other Articles" at the top of every page. I believe there was a problem with the factory having some holes slightly off center. The article describes how to check and maybe potentially fix the problem.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
There are two things that could potentially be the problem here. Using complete sentences and proper punctuation, rather than just lumping words together into random groups, would be more helpful to our understanding of the problem. I know a lot of people think I just enjoy ragging on people for poor writing, but the reality is when we can only communicate via the written word being precise and correct in your writing is important.

Anyway, as I said, there are two things that happen commonly on that transmission. Either the torque converter hub seal or the pump's lip seal can fail and the symptom is the same.

You have to take the transmission out to fix either, so go get your tools while I finish typing.

If the converter seal is bad it may have been damaged by the bell housing becoming warped. The test for this is to put the converter and the bell back on the engine without the rest of the trans and then turn the engine by hand to see if the converter hub is spinning true in the center of the hole. If it isn't that is your culprit.

If the lip seal is the problem, there isn't really a good test for that, unless you can see the seal sticking out around the pump, but a lot of times after the trans cools off they pull back in. The only fix is to take the pump out and replace the seal. This is usually caused by the trans overheating and adding an aux cooler can help greatly in preventing a repeat performance.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals