• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Truck recovered from theft/PATS key question

azintel1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Hello all, new to the forums but ive been lurking here for years. Good to finally be a member.:yahoo:

So heres the problem
My truck was stolen a month ago by someone who knows where I live and who stole my key. It was finally recovered by local PD but of course only the hidden spare key that isnt chipped was in it. I still havent actually picked up the truck from impound because PD is still bullshitting around with "paperwork" but I should be able to pick it up later today (Pray for me). I have AAA and can get a free tow but would rather not waste it if I can drive the truck home.
I have an all black spare key that I believe to be a chipped key but Im unsure... Looks just like my last chipped key except the ford logo is black rubber instead of the blue metal or plastic logo. It is stamped SA on the blade and is cut for my truck. I believe its programmed because I already had to replace the keys once and damn was it expensive but Im almost positive they gave me two chipped keys (better have for a buck fifty)

**So first question, are the keys with the black ford logo and stamped SA on the blade transponder keys or am I just being too optimistic?

Next part of my question is concerning my truck possibly being stolen again. Who ever stole it ran it out of gas on the highway and just ditched it but kept my key. as i said earlier this person knows where I live, work, and could see my truck around town as well. this person could just steal the truck at any time pretty much using the key. So what I was thinking was instead of redoing all the locks ignition and getting new keys and all that bologna,

**could i just pull the chip out of my (hopefully chipped) key and move the transceiver to a hidden location?

Then I would find a suitable piece of rubber and either make a small pocket where you would have to set the chip in or just use good old velcro. This way I can take the chip with me and it wouldnt stay in there 24/7, at the same time if i had hidden the transceiver the old key wouldnt be able to start the truck unless he ripped out the chip AND found the transceiver.

This is almost an upgrade... if you guys think this will work i will take pictures and make a tutorial could be very helpful to alot of people... surprised i havent seen this idea anywhere before.

Thanks in advance for any and all feedback! please let me know asap as i am going to pick the truck up in a few hours.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
You should have received two keys programmed from the dealer, as the programming process requires 2 keys.
Your options:
You can simply go to the dealer and have the missing key deleted from the programming and obtain a second key (ebay is a good source for cheap, uncut chip keys, then just have the dealer cut and program, should be about $65 for this). Of course, he will still have access to a door key to unlock the door and vandalize it
You can change the door locks and have 2 keys for the truck, a cheaper non chipped key for the door, then the ignition key you have.
You can get another set of keys made for the truck, again.
You can relocate the pats transceiver from the ignition cylinder to another location, remove the chip from the key and place the chip near the new location of the transceiver ( the transceiver is picky on location of the chip, so this may or may not work well everytime, the other problem with this is the stolen key can still work, and may possibly still start the vehicle).
Another option is to sell the truck and buy another. This will deter the previous thief as you will no longer have the same truck...

SVT

98greenrangerguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Automatic
Both of my chipped keys look like the one you describe. They are all black and have SA stamped on the blade.

azintel1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
If I move the transceiver but dont permanently attach the chip to it the other key wont be able to start it right? the chip has to be within a few centimeters of the transceiver from what I understand and I would relocate it alot farther than a few centimeters from the ignition. It has a slider in the rear so the door locks are kinda pointless anyways. I could always put a kill switch but this seemed alot cooler, almost like the new keyless cars. If I moved the transceiver and didnt leave the chip in it it would basically be a bypass and i could put in any ignition i want? Id be making a little rubber fob or maybe using an old remote unlock fob to put the chip in, then when i go to start the truck i slide my fob into the transceiver and would use the ignition like normal. would this work theoretically? could i put in a push button ignition if i left the transceiver intact?

Thanks for the quick reply

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Yes, this could work, in theory. Another option is to mount the transceiver in the ash tray, so you could just toss the "key fob" in the ash tray, start and go. Like I stated before, the transceiver is picky on where the chip is located so it can be read. Back in the late 90's when I was doing remote starts on these pats equipped trucks, the only way at the time was to remove the chip and attach it to the ignition column, but it took me a couple of tries to be successful...

SVT

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I agree with SVT that the missing key should be erased for security reasons. It will require two keys to be programmed though as wiping out one does them all.

black_demon69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
i would bite the bullet and just rekey the doors and ign. a locksmith can rekey erase old key from pats and give you 2 new chipped keys. however this is expensive but worth looking into..

just my 2 cents

Spott

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I think it would be a better idea to get the locks changed AND get the PATS reprogrammed. If this creep tries to take your truck again, is able to unlock the doors and get inside, but is unable to start the engine, they're liable to get frustrated and trash the interior of your truck out of spite.

It'll cost more, but I would think it's the better idea in the long run.

txgocartB3000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Do you know who took it?

If you do, a well place lead object will keep this from ever happening again.

Ray

3rd Petal

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
If it were me I would just get it re-keyed since there is still one of your keys floating around somewhere. Also, I do contract work for AAA, and I know that depending on your membership level with AAA, they might cover you for up to the first $200 of locksmith work

ab_slack

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I plain don't like the big fat keys. Last winter when I lost a key in the snow, but later found it but key part was broken so I just had the chip part I decided to kill two birds with one stone.

Rather than having to get another chipped spare, I took the chip I found, created a coupling loop of wire to allow the chip which I placed about 8 inches away to be read by the antenna around the ignition key cylinder. This way I didn't have to relocate the antenna or receiver.

Cost me about 5' of wire and some electrical tape. Installation was dead simple. I just lifted up the rubber around the ignition key cylinder, slipped the chip which I had taped to the wire down into the steering column and left the loop at the other end around the lock cylinder and put the rubber back in place.

I then got a couple non-chip keys made, one as a spare and one for my keys and no more bulky key on my key ring.

off I just made a coupling coil to couple the antenna near the key down into the steering column into

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals