• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Now this don't seem right??

WhiteRanger4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My dad just got a 09 Ranger extend cab 2x4 came with a 2.3L in it an auto tranny.Nothing wrong with that nice truck and will do all his hauling needs.Now what does not make sence is it has a trailer towing package on it.Again a nice opt. My questhon is what size trailer can you pull with it? I know the 2.3L is a ballzy engine but be real the 3.0 {MAYBE:icon_rofl:} and 4.0 would be better choice,right?

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
Well the Duratech 2.3's have signifigantly more pep to them compared to the older ones, though still not exactly a rocket.

any 2.3 and an auto tranny are going to be slow as hell.

Hopefully; since it has the trailer package on it it has a auxiliary trans cooler. That is a BIG thing keeping Ranger auto-trannies alive, make certain it has one and is functional. Even though it's a new truck I'd be tempted to wire in a trans temp gauge to keep an eye on. Seriously, Ford Ranger Auto's can get out of hand and die in a hurry if you're not careful.

My guess would be 2-3,000 lbs. With the 3,000 lb end of the scale being on the shorter trips. Manual trannies are far more forgiving with weight.

It'll probably have an 8.8" out in the rear as well, I've seen an older 2wd 4cyl Ranger with a tow package have that.

If he's hardcore, there is always going to a slightly numerically higher gear ratio, that will take alot of the stress off the tranny as well. The advantage of a 2wd, you only have to do the rear end :D

dennis461

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Jeep
Engine Size
3.0l
Transmission
Automatic

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well, my opinion is, it will tow up to about 3,000. I think it already has an extra cooler in there behind the grill. I would just take it easy.

I had a '92 Mazda 2600i (4-cylinder, auto) and it did fine with my Casita trailer. Was a good match, actually.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
NO offense will....but is there anyting that you havent at some point owned or driven???

flyingbrick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well, my opinion is, it will tow up to about 3,000. I think it already has an extra cooler in there behind the grill. I would just take it easy.

I had a '92 Mazda 2600i (4-cylinder, auto) and it did fine with my Casita trailer. Was a good match, actually.
There awesome little trucks, I used my b2200 to pull more then one car out of a ditch, mind you the 30 pound flywheel on that motor did not hurt.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
NO offense will....but is there anyting that you havent at some point owned or driven???
I've never owned or driven a '94 Explorer or a '78 F150.

dixie_boysles

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
yeah, all the now ones come with a towing package standard! BUT his is a Class I, where as the 4x4s are class III. Hw can only pull like 2,000 lbs i think plus or minus a few. where as mine can pull like 5,500 lbs

mattpresley

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD F-250
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Well the Duratech 2.3's have signifigantly more pep to them compared to the older ones, though still not exactly a rocket.

any 2.3 and an auto tranny are going to be slow as hell.

Hopefully; since it has the trailer package on it it has a auxiliary trans cooler. That is a BIG thing keeping Ranger auto-trannies alive, make certain it has one and is functional. Even though it's a new truck I'd be tempted to wire in a trans temp gauge to keep an eye on. Seriously, Ford Ranger Auto's can get out of hand and die in a hurry if you're not careful.

My guess would be 2-3,000 lbs. With the 3,000 lb end of the scale being on the shorter trips. Manual trannies are far more forgiving with weight.

It'll probably have an 8.8" out in the rear as well, I've seen an older 2wd 4cyl Ranger with a tow package have that.

If he's hardcore, there is always going to a slightly numerically higher gear ratio, that will take alot of the stress off the tranny as well. The advantage of a 2wd, you only have to do the rear end :D
Does the 2.3 duratech have more "pep" than my 2.5?

aridranger03

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
yep hitches come standard on the new rangers. hey its better than pulling straight off the bumper which i despise...

Frank The Tank

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
I pulled a Camaro on a 16ft trailor 150 miles with the 97, 2wd short wheel base, step side. reg cab.

Pulled like a champ at 140k miles.
Now has 200k miles, stock clutch, no slips drips or squeeks.

With a reciever hitch I'd keep the balanced trailor weight under 6k.
But I'm kind of into working a truck like that.
oh............. and plenty of stopping room.

Frank

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
6k with a 4cylinder.... No way!

Maybe slow towing, but no way on the highway.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
I've never owned or driven a '94 Explorer or a '78 F150.
If you ever pass this way, I'll toss you the keys to the Explorer and you can check that box off the list.
:icon_pepsi:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals