• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Manual steering serpentine belt routing

Daniel Black

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
205/60R15 & 225/60R15
Hi. My truck is an '86 with a 2.3 that I'm switching from power steering to manual. I've read all the reasons to keep the PS but really I just don't need it or the leaks. I'm getting my new motor ready to go and I'm trying to aid in power any way I can without breaking the bank on a V8 swap. It is a daily driver but not very far and I still run the miniature 14" tires on the front so the MS is going in... If I can get some help with a small problem. I only have one belt that drives the PS, Alt. and water pump with adjustment on the alt bracket and a small idler pulley. The problem is without the PS the belt hits the idler on its way to the crank pulley. If anyone has a MS truck, how is it routed? Putting the belt around the idler on the way down and just going straight from the WP to the alt seems possible. A shorter belt would work with no idler but it seems like a long run from the alt to the crank. Or am I gonna have to find some type of special factory PS delete bracketry with a V-belt? If anyone has any info or a picture or diagram it would be greatly appreciated.

faststang90

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
before I changed mine I still had the ps box just no lines the owner before me. I ran a pulley where the ac was and that made loop. I had to use a upr ac delete kit. cant find any pictures

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
This is on a completely different engine with a different belt routing but it may give you one idea on how to get it to work.

On my 4.0 I removed the power steering pump and put a pulley in it's place. This makes it easy to replace the belt as it's the factory length.

Last edited:

Daniel Black

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
205/60R15 & 225/60R15
Hmmm, that's interesting. I don't have AC. All the delete kits I can find are for 5.0s. My local parts store sells the belt for a motor with alternator only but my Haynes manual doesn't show a picture of the setup. I have an alt bracket for a car laying around that puts it closer down to where the power steering was but I don't think it will work in the Ranger.

cbr600rx7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford and Ford
Engine Size
2.3, 360ci, 5.0
Transmission
Manual
one: go and buy a manual steering belt.
Two: google 2.3 Lima belt diagram.
Three: install short non PS belt and your done.

My truck no longer has AC and I am not running a PS pump. The new belt is half the size of the old belt and is only run around the ( alternator, water pump, crank, and tensioner.)

There is no delete kit for the 2.3 since you can buy the $20 belt and route it as ford intended it to be. It's that simple.

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
A lot of Dayco belts have the routing for everything they fit on the sleeve. Most stores can get you a printout of the routing too.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals