• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

86 ranger won't start with new relay

Boingo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Welp. I didnt want to bug the Ranger forum minds, but I am stumped. I have a 1986 ranger extended cab xlt with a 2.9. Towed it from the desert where it sat since 99 lol. Pretty much entirely new now. I didn't feel I was wasting money because I have no plans on getting rid of it. It has a rebuilt motor, tranny, and everything but the alternator has been changed. From the distributor and components, the iac, map, injectors, all three relays on passenger fender, throttle sensor....you get the point. I even have tried two ecc boxes. The motor was running fine as I was breaking in the motor, then it started putting and the motor is lobbing like a cylinder is firing off or for whatever reason the motor is off balance due to the firing. Fuel pressure is fine, ran with gauge on. I changed injectors because for some odd reason I had two driver front intakes were full of fuel above valves. So I thought those two were stuck open and bad. I know this is long but I wanted to throw it all out at once. It will start right up and run goofy if I have the original brown Ecc relay in. I put two different brand new ones in and it will not fire. In fact, I checked the new coil and it doesn't get a signal unless I use the old relay. I even wired in new plug. New relay, no signal to coil. As far as I can see, I don't see any critter attacks on wires.

So either I have some evil gremlin out to get me or I am missing something. Please save me from this insanity.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Well, it sounds to me like your new relays are either not the correct style or simply faulty.

In any case, relays either work or they don't, in my experience. So if it runs at all with your old relay, that likely isn't the issue, unless it's corroded inside and has built up resistance or something. Open it up and clean it out with electronics cleaner if it looks dirty.

I would be a little worried about that much fuel getting dumped into a new engine. Pull the oil dipstick, does it smell like gas? Plugs fouled? If they run really rich for an extended period of time it'll wash out the cylinder walls and you'll lose some amount of compression in that cylinder.

I would be checking/changing the following:

Plugs
Fuel pressure regulator
Fuel filter - could be plugged from crap in the tank
Timing
Compression test

Boingo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Going check again tomorrow. The relay is just a 4 pronged relay so I'd be surprised I ended up with two different new ones that are bad or different. Maybe I'll pop them all open and check. Cleaning the old couldn't hurt. Fuel pressure was good before but I'll throw the gauge on it again. This thing has sat for a long time before I got it. I'm going look up how to check the ecc relay with a multimeter. Pretty sure I found a page on what each wire should be doing before. Thanks for the advice

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals