• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Wiper Module?

Sinister

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Was having problems with my wipers on my 92 ford ranger. I have no low or intermittent. The motor is good, and the multifunction switch is new. The only Chiltons I have laying around for it is the wrong year for mine. Was wondering if my year had a wiper module in it, and if so where is it located at? Thank you for your time, and help.

- Sinister

Spitfire1975

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Try looking above the e-brake pedal on the side wall. Tucked way the hell up there where it isn't easy to get to. If the '92's are like the earlier years, that is where it will be.

Other than that, take the cover off the column and follow the wires from the wiper switch.

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
In my 94 it was under the right side of the column. There is a module that controls it, unplug them till your wipers don't work. They no longer make them so you'll have to search a junkyard and find a working one. I had an IT tech look and see if the module could be repaired but he told the circuit that controls the intermittent function is special printed by Ford so no reasonable way to fix it.

Sent from the road while ignoring traffic

Sinister

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
When I would turn on my wipers from off to intermittent. I would hear a click...traced it down to a motorcraft 17C476. Believe this to be what I'm looking for. When I unplugged it though...I still had high wipers. I don't have a schematic to look at so I don't know if that aspect of it is on the same circuit board. I'm headed to a junkyard tomorrow, and will pick up that part to see where it gets me.

Sinister

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
so the wiper module I picked up at the junkyard worked. My wipers stop, and park in the up position though. Probably has something to do with me messing around with the linkages. I'll check into that this weekend.

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
so the wiper module I picked up at the junkyard worked. My wipers stop, and park in the up position though. Probably has something to do with me messing around with the linkages. I'll check into that this weekend.
Probably right but I know nothing of the mechanical part of wipers.

Lowered_92

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
danggit!!! I read this thread, and not even a day later my wipers start acting up. worked fine till I read this thread....some luck!

Turn my wipers on....nothing, turn to full speed & they work. Then I turn them off and about 20 minutes later the wipers make a single swipe with the switch off....what the heck???

Sinister

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
danggit!!! I read this thread, and not even a day later my wipers start acting up. worked fine till I read this thread....some luck!

Turn my wipers on....nothing, turn to full speed & they work. Then I turn them off and about 20 minutes later the wipers make a single swipe with the switch off....what the heck???
Heh...that's how it goes sometimes. I had to drive to the ER the other day on the freeway pouring rain no wipers....the motor shorted out. Rain-X did miracles but yea.....once I feel better I need to fix this. Oh....I had the motor on in the wrong position was why my wipers were parking in the up position.

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Just be glad you didn't install a new steering column lever only to find out a $5 junkyard part was the fix.

Sinister

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Everything is in order now, and I'm back in business. Thank you for the help, and support. :yahoo:

-Sinister

jchris36

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Explorer
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
Thanks guys I was having this same exact problem with my 86. It was always perplexing though because pulling the parking brake release would sometimes kick the wipers on in the low or intermittent setting haha. I traced the wires down to the little black box near the brake release, but hadn't seen this thread yet. I'm definitely gonna check the junk yard, glad to know I'm on the right track!

NEALD

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I know this is an old thread but I didn't want to start a new one for the same topic. Anyway my question is if the module just controls low and medium speeds? In other words if I don't have any wiper operation at any speed, is it most likely wiring/relay/motor? And if it has high speed but no lower speeds, it the module?

NEALD

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I just looked under my dash to the right of the steering g column I found a grey connector just hanging.? Is this possibly where the wiper module should be plugged in? Would this cause my wipers not to work at all, or would I just have high speed? Because at the moment I have NO wiper action at all.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals