• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Lifting my 97

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
I have been collecting parts to lift my truck for a few months and now it begins.

I will be using 6400 shackles and 63" chevy leafs in the back and super lift drop brackets up front.

I will also be building a new rear bumper with an integrated hitch as mine was destroyed by a suburban a few days ago. Carnage pics below.

Before:

I have been fixing a 98 ranger to sell and use as a daily while I work on my 97.

I removed the bed and hosed it off and got a good look at my hitch.

I was at an off ramp and I got rear ended by a suburban. His frame rail right behind the plastic bumper cover hit my draw bar in my hitch. I will let the pics explain what happened.

Oh, BTW, This is a Class V hitch off of an F250 that I cut down and rewelded to fit my frame. It is rated for 8000lbs with a weight distributing system.

Fortunately My frame was not damaged.

It failed where there was some deep rust pitting.

And I found some rust that I should fix.

I will be posting progress daily. My plan is to have this all done within the net week. We shall see how that goes.

Last edited:

KELLY88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 2005
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Lookin good, can't wait to see the lift. What springs are you running up front? You might want to go with a 6" spring to compensate for the weight of the front bumper. Just a suggestion. That's my future plan if I can ever get a winch and bumper together for my 97. Good luck.

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
I have springs that came with the lift brackets. They are superlift. I dont know if they are 4 or 6". I would like to eventually go to the skyjacker 8" coils because they are fairly soft and flex well. Compleckz runs them and basically my truck will look like his.

There will be 4.88s coming as soon as I can find a deal on some for an 8.8. That may be a few months though.

KELLY88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 2005
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Ya I've seen Compleckz's truck but doesn't he have 6" drop brackets? I'm not sure exactly but I don't think an 8" spring would fit and flex very well with 4" brackets. I could be completely off though. I've got the superlift 4" springs and they're strong, probably strong enough actually to handle the front end weight but they are incredibly stiff.

compleckz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
my 8" SJ springs have sagged so much.. i think i'm down to probably a true 6" now.. last year for inspection i needed to put the 6" coils in (plus 28" tires), and i was 1" under legal. this year with just the 28's on i was .5" under legal--with the 8" coils.. and my tires now have a bit of negative camber too--i could probably get it aligned now. i plan to throw some washers under the coils now to bring it back up a bit and fix the camber.

yes im using the 6" holes, but i think with your heavy ass bumper and 8" springs it will be 6" of lift BEFORE the springs sag..

KELLY88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 2005
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Not trying to jack the thread but quick question on this subject that's been bugging me. How exactly do you fit a taller spring in with drop brackets built for a different spring. Like putting an 8" spring with 6" drop brackets. Do you need a spring compressor and just jam it in there or does it just set in and rides a bit stiffer than a 6" spring?

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
I have superlift brackets with 4 and 6" holds.

I can add coil spacers under the 8" SJ coils if I need to.

It doesnt matter though. I will see what it looks like when I get there and then make the decisions based on what I see.

Dont forget to protect the glass when using a grinder.

Removed the rear crossmember.

I wanted to keep the factory bolts and speed clips so this is what I did.

My first weld looked like ass.

But I got better fast. Just a little practice to get the feel back.

Then I had issues doing the vertical welds. But after a call to my welding guru (Destroyer000), I was all set. Not pretty, but functional.

The top half of this weld was after the call to Cody.

And this is where I stopped for the night. Starting to design the rear bumper/mounts.

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
Compleckz can answer it better than I can seeing as how I have not actually installed those coils nor do I even own them.

compleckz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
What do you mean?
i think he meant--the answer is all me.. so yea, with the shocks and swaybar removed its no problem putting the coils spring in..

it works for the same reason that you can put coils spacers on a truck with stock brackets, theres a bit of play in the camber/caster bushings (i have adjustables).. also the heavier extended cabs can stuff a longer coil in cuz they weigh more.

im really tired and having a hard time explaining--hope this helps.

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
It is probably easier to get enough droop for you though cause you have the extended arms.

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Looking good, I'll be keeping an eye on this build. Good luck.

Destroyer000

January 2009 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0. 4.0 Supercharged
Transmission
Manual
your not finished yet.. wtf.... haha just kidding keep it up

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals