• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

302/M5od-r2 clutch system

Loganwildman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have been searching to find what clutch system works with 302/m5od-r2 in the early 90's rangers and am not finding anything definitive.
Will the 94 ranger 5/8 bore master work with the f150 slave and create enough throw to disengage the clutch? Or, will the f150 master work in the 94 ranger and if not, what does.

Thanks.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
It should be fine the M5OD-R2 used same slave as Ranger R1

But older Ranger(1988-1991, 2.9l) master will fit and it had a larger bore, 7/8, it will make pedal easier to push with stiffer 5.0l pressure plate

Loganwildman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Do you use the slave for the 2.9? if not what is the trick to convert the hose fittings as I have read they are different.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
From older post by cocoasranger
The '88-92 "aluminum" slave uses the "black" coupler and the line used on all Ranger/Bronco2/Explorers up to the end of 1992.

in 1993 Ford switched to a glass reinforced plastic slave cylinder that
I believe is better than the earlier ones, but this requires a different
clutch line, one that uses a "gold" colored connector (they aren't compatible)

The later gold colored quick connectors are slightly larger than the older black ones. I read a post a while back on TRS where someone in this situation simply filed down the end of the gold quick disconnect to make it fit. I'm not recommending this method,but there it is for your consideration.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
From older post by cocoasranger

Quote:
The '88-92 "aluminum" slave uses the "black" coupler and the line used on all Ranger/Bronco2/Explorers up to the end of 1992.

The later gold colored quick connectors are slightly larger than the older black ones. I read a post a while back on TRS where someone in this situation simply filed down the end of the gold quick disconnect to make it fit. I'm not recommending this method,but there it is for your consideration.

IFrom older post by cocoasranger

Quote:

Well, I'll dispute the authorship of the first two paragraphs quoted above, but not their accuracy, I'll take them as quotes of me, just incorrectly attributed..

It's easy enough to get the correct line with the proper coupler on the end of it.

I used a 1993 "gold coupler slave and matching line on my '87 because it is what I had to work with, my brother gave me a brand new 1993 slave cyl and I simply acquired a line to match it.

Elutheros

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I believe I used the master cylinder from a 1994 Explorer--but age may blur my memory. Whatever it came out of, it plugged straight into the F150 slave cylinder and 15000 miles later I'm still happy with it. Somewhere in my build thread I addressed this question--I think....

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
I believe I used the master cylinder from a 1994 Explorer--but age may blur my memory. Whatever it came out of, it plugged straight into the F150 slave cylinder and 15000 miles later I'm still happy with it. Somewhere in my build thread I addressed this question--I think....
That should work perfectly.. '93-94 Explorer master and line All use the same slave as 93, '94, '95, etc. F150.

AD

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals