• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

5.0 4 speed swap

BloodMoney

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Mazda
F
Transmission
Automatic
ok, so i'm a little stumped on where to go next. :bawling:

What I have so far, and what I have done so far.

99 B4000 engine, trans out, 2" BL for ease of swapping
96 5.0 GT-40 heads with factory headers. Swapped EFI for Street Dominator intake, cap and rotor, 600 cfm carb set up for DuraSpark II.
Toploader 4 speed out of a "1967 comet"

Where I'm a bit stuck is I need a bellhousing and clutch kit, and flywheel seeing as this WAS and automatic.

10 spline input and 28 out. other thing that has me worried is driveshaft. I know I'm going to need a new slip yoke, just wondering if there is a conversion to keep my original alum driveshaft if possible. If not I'll make one.

If needed I can easily get numbers if anyone needs. I'm just unsure as to what clutch set up I should use. Any help would be immeasurably appreciated!

monstermazda

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
3.0l
Transmission
Manual
On swaps like that you need to use the 5.0 flywheel same year or gen. The 10 spline is old school clutch but will need a small one just depends one the flywheel. Now as for drive shaft most of the time driveline people (one who make it) the will get you a whole new one they don't like using old tubes.

You might have to make your own clutch kit. But on the clutch disc type depends on hp and torque.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

BloodMoney

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Mazda
F
Transmission
Automatic
yea been seeing that. 50oz imbalance vs. 28 oz. what do you mean by small one? not real familiar with fords standards. with the set up i have now i'd be guesstemating 300-350 hp. i have a line on a supercharger off a detroit 2 stroke, but that's on the back burner until i can drive this. bellhousing is what has me concerned atm. i have an old clutch plate from a 1960-1964 galaxie which is 10". So I would need a flywheel for 10 spline 50oz, fiber disc,pilot bearing, throwout bearing, and fork. would this work or am i looking at this wrong?

Last edited:

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ford has 3 sizes of clutch disks. 10" 10.5" and 11".

10" would be the "small clutch"
10.5" is the normal size mustang clutch
11" is the heavy duty style found in the f150s and such

Most flywheels will be drilled for either the 10" or 11" clutch.

Now. Ford also has 2 different size flywheels.

157 tooth. And 164 tooth. Either one will depend on the bell housing you choose.

Now I'm sure someone will correct me on this. Up until 1974. All 302s were 28oz. After that. They went to 50oz balance. The 351w always has been 28oz balance.

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Forgot to mention. Mustangs up till 1995 have used a 10 spline disc for there clutches. Check out www.americanmuscle.com to look around for clutch options.

BLOODBANE

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORDFORD
Engine Size
347, 4.oh
Transmission
Automatic
Ford has 3 sizes of clutch disks. 10" 10.5" and 11".

10" would be the "small clutch"
10.5" is the normal size mustang clutch
11" is the heavy duty style found in the f150s and such

Most flywheels will be drilled for either the 10" or 11" clutch.

Now. Ford also has 2 different size flywheels.

157 tooth. And 164 tooth. Either one will depend on the bell housing you choose.

Now I'm sure someone will correct me on this. Up until 1974. All 302s were 28oz. After that. They went to 50oz balance. The 351w always has been 28oz balance.
Correct on the flywheel weight. I have a 69 block with 28oz. weight.

BloodMoney

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Mazda
F
Transmission
Automatic
I'm trying to get my hands on a C5AA bellhousing for it, hoping that would work. i guess the truck bellhousings are about 1/2" deeper or something. the auto flywheel i have is 164 tooth was going to try to match it up just to keep things simple. maybe a flywheel out of a stang then.

what size would be best for clutch? i might supercharge this at some point down the road, but am in no hurry to do so. i did find a slip yoke that will adapt my alum driveshaft to the trans, just has no dampener on it. they are available though.

didn't know about the 10 spline 95 clutch kits. i was told the trans was out of a 67 comet, so i was looking at the 10" kits.

maybe ill start looking at 11" kits and try to find out if that bellhousing will work for SURE.

been doing my homework, some info is still evading me lol

I really appreciate the responses! looking to get this moving before the snow melts.:beer:

BloodMoney

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Mazda
F
Transmission
Automatic
C5AA bell should fit 11"

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ford switched the 302/5.0 to 50 balance in very late 81. All 82's are 50 oz
Dave

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ford switched the 302/5.0 to 50 balance in very late 81. All 82's are 50 oz
Dave
Like I said. Someone with more knowledge would correct me. Thanks Dave :icon_thumby:

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm trying to get my hands on a C5AA bellhousing for it, hoping that would work. i guess the truck bellhousings are about 1/2" deeper or something. the auto flywheel i have is 164 tooth was going to try to match it up just to keep things simple. maybe a flywheel out of a stang then.

what size would be best for clutch? i might supercharge this at some point down the road, but am in no hurry to do so. i did find a slip yoke that will adapt my alum driveshaft to the trans, just has no dampener on it. they are available though.

didn't know about the 10 spline 95 clutch kits. i was told the trans was out of a 67 comet, so i was looking at the 10" kits.

maybe ill start looking at 11" kits and try to find out if that bellhousing will work for SURE.

been doing my homework, some info is still evading me lol

I really appreciate the responses! looking to get this moving before the snow melts.:beer:

Ready for this one

In theory. The 11" clutch would hold more due to more surface area. Problem? No one makes a performance 11" that I'm aware of. But there is a wealth of 10.5 clutches that will make your head spin.

BloodMoney

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Mazda
F
Transmission
Automatic
ok I know it's been awhile since I posted. The engine and trans are sitting in it quite nicely after making an engine mt for the passenger side. had to cut the floor a bit so have some welding to do. everything seems like it lines up just fine, except now the steering shaft...Anyone have any idea where I could get an extension? I contacted Daystar who makes kits for Performance Accessories, and they don't seem to carry the extension I'll need. Problem is the shaft is going to rub on the hedder. If I can find this extension it'll push that collar further away from that bend in the pipe. Rest of the engine bay should fall together nicely. After that I can get everything else assembled and see about a hydraulic clutch for it.

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals