• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

98 ranger 2wd 5.0 swap, motor mount question

garyl24

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 98 2wd extended cab ranger with coil springs. I have done pulled the 3.0 and trans out. I bought a 97 awd explorer with a 5.0 engine. The trans is locked up but i just wanted the engine. I know alot of guys use 4.0 engine mounts and use the custom engine plates to mount he engine. My question is can i use the explorer 5.0 moints in my ranger? It looks like i would just need to drill a new hole in the engine crossmember and both them in. Will this work and give me the engine clearance needed? I have googled for the last 2 days and cant find where anyine has done this so i am assuming it cant be done but i just wanted to ask to be sure. Thanks for the help guys!

win

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
It has been done. At least one poster successfully modified a set of Expo 5.0 mounting plates to use in a Ranger.

As I remember it, it took a fair amount of cutting to get them to work and then welding to restore the structure.

Other issues are the metal is thinner lowering the engine even closer to the rack and pinion unit and they would not address the fact that the engine mounts don't sit level with each other on the cross member.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I did a 99 Explorer 5.0 into a 2000 Ranger that had the 4.0. Used the 4.0 motor mounts in the truck and used the 5.0 plates that are on the block. Had to drill a new hole in the one plate that's on the block because the locator pin on the rubber 4.0 mounts was in a different spot for the drivers side. No other mounting modifications needed.

Sent from my kite using a trebuchet

2Krngr

Parts Hoarder
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 Supercab
Make / Model
Stepside
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0L GT40
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I used the stock 5.0 mounts and plates on my 2wd build, they are much beefier than the 4.0 mounts. I just drilled the holes where they needed to be on the frame. It's pretty straight forward.

The only real issue is that the 5.0 mounts when mounted on the 2wd frame are that they end up angled, and the 4.0 are flat. So I tacked small spacers on the frame for the 5.0 mounts to sit on which angled them back up slightly so they are flat at the top and the stock 5.0 motor plates sit flat on them.

I have pics but will need to find them and will post them up for you when I do.

You can also just buy the 5.0 to 4.0 mount plates on ebay now from RicksRangerz for only $49.99 and be done with it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/98-up-Ford-Ranger-V8-302-swap-motor-mounts-Original-RicksRangerz-brand-/152046882412

joey7478

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984 ranger
Make / Model
1990 ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I used the stock 5.0 mounts and plates on my 2wd build, they are much beefier than the 4.0 mounts. I just drilled the holes where they needed to be on the frame. It's pretty straight forward.

The only real issue is that the 5.0 mounts when mounted on the 2wd frame are that they end up angled, and the 4.0 are flat. So I tacked small spacers on the frame for the 5.0 mounts to sit on which angled them back up slightly so they are flat at the top and the stock 5.0 motor plates sit flat on them.

I have pics but will need to find them and will post them up for you when I do.

You can also just buy the 5.0 to 4.0 mount plates on ebay now from RicksRangerz for only $49.99 and be done with it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/98-up-Ford-Ranger-V8-302-swap-motor-mounts-Original-RicksRangerz-brand-/152046882412
I just got a set of his mounts and they are great' made very well.

2Krngr

Parts Hoarder
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 Supercab
Make / Model
Stepside
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0L GT40
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I just got a set of his mounts and they are great' made very well.
Awesome! Please post up some pics when you mount them if you can..

Junglejoe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I just ordered set of Ricks plates also,his newer ones are thicker.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals