• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

FNG in Florida

Swamp Donkey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys, bought this '87 about a year ago. I have a long off-road drive to get to work, and wanted to teach myself some basic mechanic skills.

It's been running great so far. I've had some trouble with the inertial fuel switch, though. Twice (about 3 months apart) it suddenly wouldn't start. It had spark, but the fuel pump wouldn't run when I turned the key. My neighbor showed me the fuel switch, we tripped it, cranked the engine a few times, reset it and the truck immediately started up. Happened again this week, tripped the switch again, but nothing. Read on this site about the switch and in the Chilton manual and saw a write up about relieving fuel pressure by tripping the switch and cranking the engine for 20 seconds. I gave it a shot, and it worked again.

I guess I understand WHAT I did to fix it, but don't understand WHY. Anyone know?

I tried to attach pictures. Hope it works. Thanks for any help.

Attachments

Swamp Donkey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Anyone got any ideas? Bueller?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals