• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Getting the fuel gauge to work!

NUguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
So I have a 1990 Ranger and a 1990 Bronco II. The fuel gauge in both were inoperative when purchased. I trouble-shot it down to the anti-slosh module and tried a replacement from a 91 ranger but it was bad as well.

I decided to bypass it and while it may change while turning, braking and accelerating it is accurate under steady driving. This is how I fixed it.

Removed the cluster. The anti-slosh module is the board plugged into the right side in the picture:

The anti-slosh module out:

Remove the three connections on the left side. I used pliers to pull them.

The connections removed:

Jump the other two connections. Here I used a wire but later I soldered the pins together on the back side of the board:

This has worked for both of my RBVs and to fix a friends 93 Explorer so I figured the problem is common enough that I should share.

Hope it helps. Also if you don't want to pull the other three connections you can tape over them to test it.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Interesting, thanks :icon_thumby:

I always thought the aniti-slosh circuit was in the tank

Ranger2300

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Two thumbs up! I'll give this a try tomorrow after work.

Ranger2300

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Well it may have been problematic, the gauge went from 3/8 to under 1/8 but the tank is still full. Looks like the bed has to come off. The good news is I got to clean up all the grime on the clear plastic cover, and I figured out how a second gen dash comes apart without breaking antyhing!

trikerider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
great thread I have a problem w/my '94 since I was in a minor rear-ender. I checked the inertia switch altho doubted it has any bearing on the problem.
I'll check this tomorrow.

rhforeal

U.S. Military - Veteran
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
What if your anti slosh module has 4 tab connections on each side of the connector instead of three and two?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals