• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Barnyards 92 Hauler And Crawler Explorer

Tyler_b

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Been lurking for a while now, thought i finally might post up what ive been up to and a little info on my rig. Ive done lots of crawlers before sammys, toys, cherokee, yjs but i got sick and tired of being so damb slow on the trails, buddy of mine got me started on these, as i took one ride in a properly setup ttb truck and wow.... You could haul ass to the trail in comfort and crawl with the crawler boys and be the first home to crack a beer after lol.
Anyways im from Vancouver Island B.C., think theres only a few of us left on the island that actually plays with ttb setup. Ill include some specs and some carnage and some before and after photos, as for future upgrades gonna be starting front/rear bumpers here soon.. Oh yeah and this is my daily driver also

Current Specs are
92 explorer eddie bauer, 4.0L Custom air intake, Headers, Exhaust, A4LD with rebuild and shift kit with some flow mods, stock t-case
Dana 35 front with 44 knuckles and outers, clearenced beams, 760s with full circle snaps, 4.56 gears, arb locker
Custom front coilover suspension, 12" travel swayaways 2.0s, 4" travel air bumps, ext radius arms
Rear Deaver Leafs, with very light valved rancho shocks for now 11" travel
8.8 Rear with 4.56 gears, minispool, custom axleshafts, drum brakes( for now)
Arb compressor, Roof rack.

When i first got it, sacked out 4.0l, stove pipe snorkel, alum bumper, rusted out rear bumper, 5.5 superlift with ext radius arms and the reason i bought it 4.56s with arbs front and rear....

It was a little too tipy so i bought some tuff country brackets 2" drop and some 4" 2wd coils and made it work with some large alignment cams, and got rid of the diff buster bracket! And Swaybars lol

Def needed new cams....

After Cams i wanted to test travel on the hoist, and also found out that superlift shocks were too short the hard way, popped the stock mounts

Buddy of mine, welded up some very nice f250 towers to the stock buckets for me, also selling me some bilstein 7100s, Bling! Lol and the custom spring retainers for backup...

So after the front suspension got the 7100s and the drop the rear sat way too high due to the soa on the superlift kit, so i first dropped it down with a custom pack in sua rode like crap, then the same buddy also sold me a set of 4" deavers for the rear that came out of his old explorer. So with the suspension setup it flexed really nice and rode like a dream but as with all of us we want more but it was a constant battle with breaking things, after a good day of wheeln i came home with this lol

And upon further inspection i found my internal valve spring spacer for the axleshaft had snapped and the shaft plunged so hard into the diff it cracked my bearing cap and destroyed the cap side of my arb..... F$%K

In the midst of taking it apart it needed balljoints, u joints, tie rods etc. I dont have any pics of it but i bought some spicer 760s and got my buddy at the machine shop to clearence some shafts for it. Also reamed out my beams for dana 44 outers. Also clearenced the inner axle shaft and beam housing window for max travel. So im now running dana 35 beams with 44 knuckles and outers, pretty easy swap. with the 44 stuff and the 760s i havent broken anything in the front..... Also redrilled the rear shafts to 5.5 so i could run matching wheels. And got all new parts and fixed the front arb and re setup my locker and ring/pinion in new alum dana 35 housing
Did alot more wheeln was pretty happy with it until i started noticing my rear locker wasnt working anymore and would some times disengage and engage

Took it apart and found this lol, F$%k Again, it ended up being too much to fix, so i bought a minispool for the meantime until i can get enough cash to get another arb..

In the meantime more wheeln and beating on it, went to whipsaw last year i have some pics of my truck but there limited im usually the guy at the front and well the person who goes first doesnt always get a pic lol

Same guy who sold me the 7100s also was upgrading to another susp setup so i bought his old stuff off him. And sold my old setup to Andres629, coils, brackets, longarms, 7100s, etc. I cant take credit for building just putting it on and tweeking it to work with my truck. Front end is now 1.5" forward, coilovers, air bumps, diff armoured, stock ttb beam brackets, custom radius arms and modified stock crossmember, etc. Pulls 18" out of the front and is 4 wheel drive!
Before old setup on the front and the max droop.

All the new to me parts, and alot of labour time later....

Truck rides awesome, sucks bumps like you wouldnt believe, and crawls great too, but had to trim more of my fender wheels due to way more uptravel than i expected so, i cut out about 2" out of the fender and modified the inner fender and no at full bump no rub

A little opps from the last wheeln trip in town, guess i missed a wire harness to tie up when i did the inner fender swap, scared the crap out of me i could see glowing from under the truck and found this on my very hot headers, good thing i caught it and cut it out in time

Pic from same day, gotta get someone to take some pics of it in the air now and crawling, more to come soon and maybe some bumper pics too

Last edited:

Spowerback

Banned
--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
v6 4.0L /
Transmission
Automatic
wow awesome rig man ...you would need an alignment before on the explorer (latest pics)I love your snorkel:icon_thumby: :icon_thumby::icon_thumby:

Last edited:

86 slo-vo

02/2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
looks like its going to be a nice rig

Last edited:

Grunizzle

01/2013 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V-6
Transmission
Manual
wow nice setup, it's cool you stuck with the TTB

Tyler_b

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the comments, stay tuned might be some action shots this weekend, yeah it was a hard decision between solid and sticking with ttb. I stuck with it because it's not a strictly rockcrawler, ttb awesome for all around but it's little limited in the big rocks

Bennybooster

EMT / Paramedic
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Such a good build!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals