• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Wiper drainage pan?

gungfudan

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
N/A
I Have an 88' Ranger.

I have read the tech article about stopping the leaks by welding in new sheet metal.

My question is has anyone done anything to prevent it from rusting out?

I know the top of the pan is spot welded so I was thinking about taking it off and bolting it back on because I would like to paint every thing on the inside. Maybe even spray it with bed liner paint.

So what have you guys done? Ideas?

ratdude747

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
215/70R15
I Have an 88' Ranger.

I have read the tech article about stopping the leaks by welding in new sheet metal.

My question is has anyone done anything to prevent it from rusting out?

I know the top of the pan is spot welded so I was thinking about taking it off and bolting it back on because I would like to paint every thing on the inside. Maybe even spray it with bed liner paint.

So what have you guys done? Ideas?
Paint it the best you can, and keep the drain clean. Trapped water is the main enemy here; if the water drains well, it won't build up and rot things out so fast.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
^^ what he said...

At one point I thought about simply making a couple of block off plates to put over those openings and be done with it. Only problem with that is the vent for the fresh air is in that pan and it would seriously cut back on the air flow.

It wouldn't stop it completely, but it would restrict it...and if you're ok with that it might just be something to consider...

As a side to that...I once owned a Skoda which was a really fun little car with a bunch of weird features...and one of those features was a pair of air scoops that were designed to fit over those vents. It helped keep out some stuff but still allowed air flow...

They were shaped sort of like those duct vent air deflectors that you put on your furnace vents to direct the air outward instead of letting it go upward....

Second one down...the brownish clear plastic quarter circle...might even fit a Ranger...:)

http://diy.stackexchange.com/questions/20738/how-can-i-redirect-the-discharge-of-my-forced-air-vent

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If you pull the windshield you can drill out the spot welds and weld/bolt in a cowl from a second gen. They just have small round holes instead of the huge leaf eating slots.

gungfudan

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
N/A
If you pull the windshield you can drill out the spot welds and weld/bolt in a cowl from a second gen. They just have small round holes instead of the huge leaf eating slots.
I might just do that. Thank you guys!!!

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
that part of the truck is technically called the "Cowl"

If you have the windshield out and that panel off that area cries out to be thoroughy cleaned out & coated with bedliner before you install a Gen2 top cover (with the small holes)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals