• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ball joints

tjs4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I had taken in my Ex the other day to have the scrunching noise inspected, for the THIRD time. YES, my coil spring isolators need replacing.....like they told me LAST year. Anyways, the right side of my ex needs both upper and lower ball joints. How much of a job is it to DIY this? The shop wants 500 for just the one side.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
It is an easy job, you just need a $50 ball joint press from Harbor Freight. Buy the best ball joints you can (Moog or equivalent) and figure about a half day if you have never had the front end apart that far before.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
some autozones rent the ball joint tool! pay for it, use it.. take it back get the money back.

now if you want the tool, buy it. don't rent it. if money is tight, rent it.

tjs4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
So what's the procedure to install?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
You will want to at least get the alignment checked, and will probably need to spend some money to get it adjusted afterwards. The camber/caster of your front end is set by and eccentric bushing around the ball joints. Replacing them can change those angles.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
So what's the procedure to install?
Rip it down to the knuckle, pop the BJ nuts off, press out, lube up with PB Blaster, press in.

Sometimes it's not always that cut and dry, but that's the gist of it.

Also, it's nice (but not necessarily required) to have a good impact gun on hand. I just broke my old one today fighting with a set of rusty old Dodge ball joints and a crappy, worn press.

tjs4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Impact gun? How much r those? Sounds like maybe a job that I should have done by the shop.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Well, the one I just bought today was $200. You can probably get one cheaper at Harbor Freight.

whocares

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Impact gun? How much r those? Sounds like maybe a job that I should have done by the shop.

A good air impact isnt cheap....however, you can get cheap ones at harbor freight. Like he said though, it isnt a necessity and the job can be done without one. Do you have an air compressor to run the impact if you bought one?

My point of view is this: Before I paid the shop 500 to change one side, I would instead spend that 500 on an impact, air compressor, ball joints, alignment, and anything else I needed to do the job. You will still come out under 500 and you get to keep the tools you bought. You will need them for the other side when you decide to change those ball joints.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
A good air impact isnt cheap....however, you can get cheap ones at harbor freight. Like he said though, it isnt a necessity and the job can be done without one. Do you have an air compressor to run the impact if you bought one?

My point of view is this: Before I paid the shop 500 to change one side, I would instead spend that 500 on an impact, air compressor, ball joints, alignment, and anything else I needed to do the job. You will still come out under 500 and you get to keep the tools you bought. You will need them for the other side when you decide to change those ball joints.
^^ What he said.

I own a LOT of tools. There are a LOT more I need. I, unlike you, am a professional mechanic. It's all about cost benefit. If you can do the job yourself for the same or less than the shop will, then it's worth it to buy the tools, because then you have a fixed car AND tools.

larrybjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
ball joints just did them. its not that bad at all. I bought my ball joint press from harbor freight and i dont know how i survived without this tool. Anyways the tech library has a really good step by step instructions on how to do this if you get lost. Ive done them before but the guy who did the write up did a good job. $500 is really not all that bad, but if you do it yourself you will have about $100 in parts. Its a good learning experience if you havent done them before.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
the part about having the tools is true.. its so awesome to have the air compressor and air tools.. i'm so spoiled, my dad spoiled me on air tools a long long long time ago and that's saying alot since i'm only 20 lol. but yeah, $500 is about normal i'm sure. shops are high.. i do my own work b/c i know how and it saves me money, and learning some mechanic stuff will save you a fortune over a lifetime..

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Time is money. If you can make more than $500.00 in the time it takes the shop to do the job, why would you do it yourself? Or, by the tools, do it yourself, and pay yourself $25.00 an hour. Very seldom do I make $500.00 or more in a day.

Richard

And consider the tools a bonus for a job well done!

K-Slice

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Honestly.. I've looked at the writeup in the tech section, and its even worse than the one in my Haynes manual. I think any novice would be totaly lost trying to do it by that thing. It says nothing about how to take apart the hub correctly and seems to jump over steps.
The TTB axle isn't the easiest thing to work with by a long shot, while it is a great axle..

This is a good write-up, while it is for a full size Bronco with TTB.
http://www.off-road.com/trucks-4x4/tech/bronco-ball-joint-replacement-18945.html

Last edited:

ufgators68

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V-6
Transmission
Automatic
You don't have to use an impact wrench. A good 1/2" drive pull bar will work good too.

Mine were in extra tight, the impact wrench wouldn't move them. That pull bar and a little muscle moved them right on out.

I have an el cheapo Campbell Hausfeld impact wrench, from WalMart, and I don't think it was quite up for the job. Works fine for most everything else I do with it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals