• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Elec Door Locks

woodyedmiston

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Is there a body man on this side that can give me some tips to get my elec door locks to work properly. The actuators attempt to push the lock rod when the switch is depressed. The key will lock and unlock the door and the rod moves up and down when the door locks. The actuator seems not to be powerful enough or . . . what I really suspect the rod has gotten out of alignment or bent some way.

Gum-B

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
with a multi meeter check the see that the switch is allowing 12v+ to pass through. If the rod moves with the key that is good. The rods have very little to do with hindering the system. If they are the factory actuaters, and are reciving proper voltage they may be defective, if they are added aftermarket check their alignment. I would start there then asses the problem.

woodyedmiston

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks Gum,

The actuators work and bump when you hit the button. The left door was working fine until I took everything out of the door to change out a damaged door. The right door just stopped working - although the actuator seems to bump and try to open when I push the lock button. I'm thinking I bent the left door actuator or connected in wrong at this point. The rod is not vertical in the hole - it leans to the right. But, when I take the door panel off and release any interference, the darn thing still won't actuate.

Can I take the plug apart and check the current through the switch? What do I do if the current is low at that point?

I'll buy new locks if that is what it takes, I like my electric locks. But I want to make sure that is the problem and it's not just poor workmanship on my part.

Yes BTW - they are the orginal Ford acutators

Last edited:

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You should absolutely check the voltage and ground at the door lock actuator connector.
Then use a different part of bare chassis as the ground (seat bolt or doorframe latch).

I can send you 2000 PDL schematic, if you PM me an e-mail address. Should be the same.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals