• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

5th wheel hitch brackets for 2002 Ranger.

Tractorman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Just looking to see if anyone makes brackets for the Ranger for a 5th Wheel hitch.

I don't wanna hear "you can't pull that!" or anything of the sort.

If you know where I can find them, great. Or if I need to get universal ones, well just as well.

Thanks.

Spowerback

Banned
--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
v6 4.0L /
Transmission
Automatic
hitch center
help me

his of that you speak

Last edited:

Tractorman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Ok, I have the rails. All I need are those L shaped brackets. I've searched online, but couldn't really find them. Maybe I'll be making my own.

nate09

Reaction score
just curious what you plan on pulling? seeing as youre from GB ill be on the lookout.

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
Husky makes a set. However, the universal set will work just fine.

Tractorman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Husky makes a set. However, the universal set will work just fine.
I see that Husky has Ranger brackets. I have a Robin Industries hitch and rails. They should match, correct?

ford1386

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a set of the L brackets left over from when i put my fifth wheel hitch on my super duty they came with the rail kit but i bought the custom brackets for under the bed instead..............$40 shipped if interested

Tractorman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
just curious what you plan on pulling? seeing as youre from GB ill be on the lookout.
1995 Shadow Cruiser 5th wheel camper.

I have a set of the L brackets left over from when i put my fifth wheel hitch on my super duty they came with the rail kit but i bought the custom brackets for under the bed instead..............$40 shipped if interested
Ok, I'm assuming they're universal mounts? These would need holes added to the frame, correct?

Thanks

ford1386

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
they are universal mounts, i'm not sure about the holes in the ranger frame but i would assume so.............
i looked on huskytow.com and it doesnt specify whether or not they are the custom brackets to fit the ranger frame or whether the kit comes with universal brackets

Last edited:

Tractorman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Just an update/completion.

Bought the Husky brand rails and brackets for downsized truck, which is made for the Dakota and Ranger. Finally got around to installing it today.

Installation was easy enough. Set the hitch on top of the rails, measure ( and measure and measure!) and drilled the 4 holes through the bed for the bolts to the brackets. Add the spacers where needed, and then drop the bolts down the bed rails.

The next part is to loosely bolt the brackets up to mark the holes that need to be drilled to attach the brackets to the frame. These holes are supposed to be a 17/32" drill bit, but only had a 1/2" available. Just drilled a pilot hole, and then the 1/2" bit, and then removed the bracket so I could wobble the hole a little bigger. Not ideal, but the wheels bolts all seated properly.

On the driver side I had to watch for some electrical lines and the brake line, passenger side was clear.

The center of the hitch is back an inch and a half of the center of the axle, which isn't exactly what I wanted, but it still tows like a beauty. Weighed the camper (no water) and crossed the scales at 8920 pounds, giving me about 600 pounds of GCVW before I'm maxing out according to the book. Has plenty of power still, holds 'drive' well on hills and overpasses at 60 and 70 mph. Truck and camper sit very level, looks well together. Rear springs are tired at 140k hard miles, but still rides great.

Overall, gotta say I'm glad the camper I found was a 5th wheel! Now I just have to buy a goose neck plate and covert my car hauler over....

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Is it this thing? That's perfect.

Tractorman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yes it is, but mine looks shorter than that.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I think that's a 25.

The nose cone does wonders I'll bet. The pressure is about half at a 30 degree angle, which that looks to be.

pcollins

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
GMC
Engine Size
4.8L
Transmission
Automatic
just remember to do earlier tranny fluid changes and i don't see why the truck Cant pull it.

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
Just an update/completion.

Bought the Husky brand rails and brackets for downsized truck, which is made for the Dakota and Ranger. Finally got around to installing it today.

Installation was easy enough. Set the hitch on top of the rails, measure ( and measure and measure!) and drilled the 4 holes through the bed for the bolts to the brackets. Add the spacers where needed, and then drop the bolts down the bed rails.

The next part is to loosely bolt the brackets up to mark the holes that need to be drilled to attach the brackets to the frame. These holes are supposed to be a 17/32" drill bit, but only had a 1/2" available. Just drilled a pilot hole, and then the 1/2" bit, and then removed the bracket so I could wobble the hole a little bigger. Not ideal, but the wheels bolts all seated properly.

On the driver side I had to watch for some electrical lines and the brake line, passenger side was clear.

The center of the hitch is back an inch and a half of the center of the axle, which isn't exactly what I wanted, but it still tows like a beauty. Weighed the camper (no water) and crossed the scales at 8920 pounds, giving me about 600 pounds of GCVW before I'm maxing out according to the book. Has plenty of power still, holds 'drive' well on hills and overpasses at 60 and 70 mph. Truck and camper sit very level, looks well together. Rear springs are tired at 140k hard miles, but still rides great.

Overall, gotta say I'm glad the camper I found was a 5th wheel! Now I just have to buy a goose neck plate and covert my car hauler over....
Glad you found the husky parts.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals