• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

NEED HELP with removing 02 sensor

NEALD

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I posted this over on b2corral with no responses, so I figured I with give it a shot here.

02 sensor is very tight space. I have an 89 b2 Auto 4wd. Having trouble trying to remove 02 sensor. Not much room to work, cannot really get any tools on it, trans and exhaust in the way. What was Ford thinking??? What is the correct procedure/tools needed? Thanks

Last edited:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I feel your pain. Unfortunately it's been so long since I did mine that i don't remember what I used. I'm sure someone will have an answer soon,
Good luck,

Richard

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Never changed O2 on B2, :), but "if you can't raise the bridge, lower the river"

Can you disconnect exhaust pipes from manifolds and lower them to gain more clearance?

NEALD

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks guys. I hear you with lowering the exhaust, but the connections is so rusty there are no bolt heads left. Right now disconnecting pipes is not an option. Also is this o2 a 13/16 because 7/8 seems way too big?

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm not near my tools and stuff to check. Perhaps metric?
As far as access, perhaps you might sacrifice a wrench by cutting it down. I do believe that you can get the plug end thru the closed end of the wrench. Then work it down into position. i know i spent a couple hours getting mine out. It was rusted-welded to the bung.

Richard

Jecsd1

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Try a dedicated O2 sensor socket or cut a slot in a 22mm wrench just enough to slip it over the wires. Usually works for me. Soak it with a good penetrating oil (not WD40) every day for a few days before you try.

NEALD

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 7/8(22mm) crows foot 02 socket, it is too big for the B2's 02 sensor body. Its about 1 size too big. Even if it did fit there is no room to maneuver it. I think I'm gunna try the open end method next.

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
AFAIK, it should be 7/8" hex, but it definitely could be corroded. step down a size till you find one that fits snug 21 and 22mm are both smaller than 7/8 but bigger than 13/16. might also try getting it hot (just run the engine) and then get some penetrating oil on it. it will probably come out easier when stuff is hot, but it'll be scary working around the hot exhaust pipes.

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
I think it is metric. And, 22 mm equals 0.866 inches. This is smaller than 7/8 inches (0.875 inches).

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
As far as loosening it, you can heat up area around it with a torch or just warm up the engine, then spray O2 sensor only with compressed air or........whatever, to cool just the sensor.
That will often break threads free.

Hot metal expands, Cold metal contracts

NEALD

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
That's some good ideas. Hopefully I get to it this weekend. I have to take care of my rear sill repair, which is 1st on my priority list. Then shocks and brakes

darken

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986/1986
Make / Model
Ford Truck/Ford
Engine Size
2.9/2.9
Transmission
Manual
My credo
The More I Get To Know People, The Better I Like My Dogs!
o2 sensor

Hi, Just Changed Mine On 86 BII,
You Need A O2 Sensor Socket, I Belive It's 22mm.
Has A Hole In The Side To Put The Wires Through.
Very Hard To Get The Racket On. Once You Break It Loose, It Should UN-Screw By Hand Easily.
You Might Be Able To Use A Box End Wrench On It.
Good Luck!

NEALD

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I have the 7\8" sensor socket which is 22.2mm. I bought it a couple years ago and used it on our 01 Mazda tribute. Worked like a charm. I have to try again maybe next weekend, but it seemed too big for the bronco sensor. I have a new OEM sensor that I'm going to see how the socket fits it. Then I will pretty much know if the socket is too big or if the original sensor is just rusted away.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals