• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2nd Gen HID Conversion?

Vexarana

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey all,

After sorting through my issues with headlights, I am more "motivated" to just go ahead and fix up my headlights the way that I wanted to do them in the first place.

I am wanting to replace my housings with these:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004I5O5EU/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=IOHNNWWRPHBP&coliid=I3K2PM93FFCBWN

And then to do an HID retro-fit using parts from The Retrofit Source (the other, not as good TRS!).

I have seen plenty of 1993 and newer conversions done, and there are even housings available on eBay and such to swap out. As far as I can tell, no such thing exists for the 2nd gen.

I am undecided at this point whether I want to do for a bi-xenon or do 2 separate bulbs. I do have a couple questions before even getting to that point though. They are (probably) a little basic but I haven't really seen an answer even though I've done tons of reading on this.

1) A projector (for halogen or xenon) will throw all light forward. So does that mean I DO NOT need the reflector to actually.. well.. reflect anything? I.e. if I installed an HID or halogen projector into the housing could I spray paint all the silver reflector parts black to cut down on glare?

2) The housing is designed only for one bulb. If I do some modifications to the housing to flatten out the base, would there be an advantage to doing a separate high beam and low beam?

3) Has anyone else done an HID fitment into a 1st or 2nd gen Ranger (1992 or lower)?

I have seen a couple members discuss doing this the right way, and not wanting to mess up housings. From what I understand, I will have to cut a hole in the back for either a bi-xenon or 2 bulbs. When I do this, it has to be mounted correctly for alignment and to cut down on glare. Just wondering if anyone else has any words of wisdom?

Thanks for the read! Also, I already know "HID isn't legal according to the DOT" and "HID's blind other drivers". I am wanting to do this the right way, not necessarily the legal way.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Just to clarify you are planning to retrofit projectors into those housings right? Please tell me you are planning to retrofit projectors. My answers are assuming that is the case, because I know that's what you are going to tell me.

1) Correct on the reflector not being used. You could paint the reflector, but there's really no point, it isn't going to cause glare because the light isn't hitting it. I'm actually considering a CFL or LED ring in the housing to light up the reflector while the HIDs are on. Not something super bright that will cause glare. Just enough to give the housing a glow at similar color temp to the HID.

2) I wouldn't try to put two projectors and bulbs into one of those housings, too small and wouldn't fit right. Better off with the bi-xenon than trying to run both.

3) I haven't, but I plan to eventually do it on my 86. If I keep my bike I'll be doing the headlight on it as well.

Check out the Morimoto Mini H1 6.0 and Morimoto Mini D2S 3.0. Both of those are no cutting required, and they are the smallest bi-xenon housings available. One or both should be small enough to mount in your Ranger housing. Just bake the lens off and the projector "bolts" in place of the standard bulb.

You are choosing an excellent source for parts. From everything I hear about them, you may pay a little more, but you get what you pay for in both quality and service. Best words of wisdom I can give is contact The Retrofit Source and talk to them about what you want. The can guide you through getting the right parts for your conversion, hell they may have already helped someone else do it.

You are absolutely right, it isn't legal, but technically neither are a lot of the other mods we do to our trucks. The key is doing it the right way, which it sounds like you are planning. It doesn't work to just throw HID bulbs into the Halogen housings, that's where the "HID's blind other drivers" complaints come from. HIDs are very efficient and if installed properly actually create less glare and put more light on the road than standard lights.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals