• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Tuning SRW

1993Ranger4x4

Ford Technician
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.Slow
Transmission
Manual
Okay I am a complete newb to the CB game, and just have one to run trails, for emergencies, and for the fire department members.

I have a cheap Radio and a cheap antenna.

I have a 17" Mag mount on the rood of my reg cab ranger and my radio is Just a cheap Radio Shack CB. Here are the specs of the CB:

-Radio System Type Mobile
- Channels 40 Channels
-Power 6 watts
-Frequency Range All 40 CB Channels (Class D) 26.96527.405 MHz
-Controls SQUELCH, VOLUME, Channel 9 and 19 Priority Switch,
-ChannelSelector, PUSH TO TALK (microphone)
-Two-Way Radio Display Information Channel Indicator, TX and RX LED indicators

What should i tune this to?

Spott

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
You need to get a SWR meter, there are plenty available cheaply that do an adequate job. Also, make sure you have a really good ground before you start; a length of copper braid from a piece of leftover coax, attached to the chassis of the radio and the body of the truck, works very well.

1. Hook the SWR meter up between the radio and the antenna, tune to channel 20 (about the middle of the band), switch the meter to "forward", and key the mic. It doesn't transmit much of a signal without some audio, so I like to whistle a loud, clear tone in the microphone.

2. Adjust the knob on the meter, until the peak reading has the needle lined up with the "reference" or "forward" mark on the scale.

3. Flip the switch on the meter, to "reverse" or "reflected", and whistle again. The peak now should be much lower, and whatever the needle lines up with, is your SWR. 1:1 is ideal, anything under 2:1 is halfway decent. Write it down.

4. Go out to your antenna, and move it around a little bit. Some things to consider: keep the antenna away from other vertical pieces of metal (like the FM antenna), and keep it toward the center of the "ground plane" (your cab roof, in this case) for best SWR and best signal angle. Then go through steps 1-3 again, and see if your SWR got any better. Maybe move it a little more, and see if you can get it any better.

5. Once you've found the best location for your antenna, you can adjust the actual length. There's probably one or two set-screws in the side of the antenna body, just below the vertical whip wire. These hold the whip in place. Loosen them, adjust the length by 1/8", and tighten one screw down a little, to hold it. Then do steps 1-3 again, and see if your SWR is better or worse. If it's worse, you moved the whip the wrong direction; try again the other way. If it's better, then go another 1/8" and see if you can do better yet. Keep adjusting until you find the best you can do. If you need to make the whip shorter, but you ran out of space in the antenna base, feel free to cut a little bit off the bottom of the whip.

6. Once you've got the best position you can find, and the best length, then tighten down the lock screws good and tight.

This will arrange for the antenna to be the best "match" for your radio, so that most or all of the power goes out through the antenna, and little or none of the power is "reflected" back into the radio. The reflected power is not only wasted, it can (in extreme cases) also damage your radio.

Please note that 6W of power into a well-tuned 17" mag-mount, is not as effective as the same 6W going into a well-tuned 4ft whip. Tuning your mag-mount will not make it as good as a larger, better antenna, but it will make it as good as you can get with a little mag-mount.

Let me know if you need more help,
Spott

cmequestionu

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~10
Tire Size
Also a good idea to tune your radio in an open field with no tall buildings or power lines. Instead of checking the middle of the band check the top and bottom. Everything in between will work fine. Do yourself a favor and read up on it some more. Never rely on just one source for your information. Oh and a crappy radio with a good antenna is better than the opposite. My $.02.

1993Ranger4x4

Ford Technician
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.Slow
Transmission
Manual
Thanks, I have been doing a lot of reading. With my setup, I will most likely never be transmitting or receiveing from over about 1/2 mile away.

Ive been reading up alot on the "art" of tuning an antenna and I have an old but trusty SWR meter that my grandfather gave me. The only thing with my antenna is that i dont think it has much ajustability.

02RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
You need a better antenna :p Even a firestik in a hood-channel mount would be better than a magnet mount.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals