• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

cam sensor is screwed. how do i find TDC to replace it?

SatisTraction

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
The previous owner tried replacing the cam sensor assembly and got it out of time. now the truck surges and i keep a cam sensor code.

how do i retime it correctly?

i looked but did not see any timing marks on the balancer or a timing mark on the block.

it is a 96 3.0 ranger

thanks
chris

Hibs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
pull the #1 spark plug, insert a screw driver or your figure and slowly turn the motor over until the piston reaches TDC. you'll have a 50/50 chance whether you're on the right compression stroke.

SatisTraction

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
that is it? you could be off by 30* or so. there are no marks??????????

to be sure you are on the compression stroke all you do is make sure air is coming out :)

Hibs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
that's all i've ever done to find TDC when dropping in a distributor, and i've never had a problem.

shadetree

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Explorer Sport
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
pull the #1 spark plug, insert a screw driver or your figure and slowly turn the motor over until the piston reaches TDC. you'll have a 50/50 chance whether you're on the right compression stroke.
NO!NO! Geeze there is only one compression stroke. Don't put anything in the sparkplug hole. Disable the engine so it will not start. Remove the #1 sparkplug, place your thumb/finger over the hole. Slowly bump the engine over. You will feel the compression against your thumb, then look for the timing marks on the crank pulley, and align the marks with 0. This will be TDC. No 50/50 nothing, it will be top dead center.:)shady

Last edited:

SatisTraction

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
where are these "timing marks"?

I have rebuilt several engines and can not find these.

just so you know i am not a moron i do have a 69 camaro with a ls1 that i built and installed. including all the wiring.

Hibs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
NO!NO! Geeze there is only one compression stroke. Don't put anything in the sparkplug hole. Disable the engine so it will not start. Remove the #1 sparkplug, place your thumb/finger over the hole. Slowly bump the engine over. You will feel the compression against your thumb, then look for the timing marks on the crank pulley, and align the marks with 0. This will be TDC. No 50/50 nothing, it will be top dead center.:)shady
sorry my terminology was a little off this morning. the piston will come up to the top twice, sometimes when you are turning it over slow by hand it's hard to tell if it's the intake or exhaust stroke, that's why i said it's a 50/50. if you are turning it over by hand, sometimes it's easier to tell if you have a long screwdriver resting on top the piston to gauge when exactly the piston reaches TDC. i actually bought a tool that threads into the spark plug hole, it's got a spring and a rod on it that reaches down the cylinder that way you don't have to worry about the screwdriver bouncing around. i would NOT recommend bumping it with the starter, it's all ways seems to move to much on each "bump". He mentioned he didn't have any timing marks, so this is how you have to do it.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
there is a special service tool for properly aligning the CMP...

thegoat4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Never stick anything into the spark hole unless it's something that can be spat out by the engine without damage, like a drinking straw. It's not very likely you'd break a screwdriver off in your cylinder, but if you get it cocked right on the upstroke, you could gouge the piston, creating a hot spot and knock, or deform the spark threads, or both.

Do like shady says. You ought to have an indicator above the crank pulley, slightly to the right when looking at the engine's front. You probably have to peer in between the power steer pump and AC compressor pulleys to actually see the stupid thing. It's a lot easier to just figure out when #1 is compressing, then stick a straw in there and rotate the crank until the straw just stops pushing out.

This http://www.samstagsales.com/SirTool/st2800.jpg is the special tool you're supposed to use. Either get the tool or have a shop do the work. I've seen the tool listed elsewhere for $30, but I can't remember where.

Hibs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
a straw is a good idea, i never had one laying around in my tool box. lol.

fixizin

FoMoCo is forcing me to buy a 'yota
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
A properly suspensioned Ranger can be safely airborne for up to 4 seconds at a time! =:O
i do have a 69 camaro with a ls1 that i built and installed. including all the wiring.
:pray::pray::pray: Dude, that SS RAWKS!... don't worry about the "period purists", who insist every bolt must be made in 1969, lol. You'll be much happier (and less polluting) with the modern LS1 in there... (tranny type?)

My brother just got his '68 (RS?) Camaro (mild+pep 327 build) out of the paint shop with the SUNOCO color scheme (sans race numbers and decals)! Gorgeous dark blue with two WIDE yellow stripes! (Sunoco was happy to provide the exact paint codes--free advertising for them, lol.)

4x4fun

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
really?
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
look for "Keys" they should be facing each other. crank up cam down, if it even applies,

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
this is an OHV engine...you cant see the cam without tearing the water pump and front cover off.

4x4fun

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
really?
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
water pumps are for losers :iamwithstupid:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals