• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

CEL Code 214

94b2300ranger

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.3l is out! 4.0l is in!!!
Transmission
Manual
214 (M) Error in Cylinder ID (CID) circuit or signal - Ignition Systems

only code that im getting on my reader, a little confused by it. Engine seems to run fine, just have the CEL on.

Anyone else run into this and find a solution?

94b2300ranger

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So after talking with the Mechanic shop by my shop, he says a lot of the time it's the Camshaft position sensor. Disconnected it and didn't have any change, so i determined it fit to replace it. I don't have a problem replacing parts on this as i did a motor swap and didn't know the condition of any of the sensor's/wear items. Well turns out I have a synchronizer and not a sensor. Not a problem, until i looked at a replacement part. You have to buy the whole assembly! Ranging from $175 from Rockauto, to $260 from Napa.

Why did Ford think it was a good idea to use a synchronizer for a few years , then switch to a sensor which is replaceable for a fraction of the cost?

Either way I was able to find a brand new assembly from a shop for $100 a few hours away from me.

94b2300ranger

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Replaced the sensor, fired it up and CEL never came back on!!!!:yahoo::headbang:

Good feeling now that the CEL is off, now i can attempt at getting it reffed.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Glad you got it fixed.

2001 4.0l SOHC engines had sensor on drivers side valve cover, no timing setup, just plug 'n play

The 4.0l OHV, 1990-2000, all had the synchro with sensor on the top, but as far as I know you could replace just the sensor on the top of the synchro.
Only Calif. 4.0l OHVs had the Cam Sensors thru 1994, in 1995 and up all 4.0l OHVs had them.

Generally speaking the synchro towers would wear out(bushings) so replacing the whole unit is prudent, but often not required

94b2300ranger

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Glad you got it fixed.

2001 4.0l SOHC engines had sensor on drivers side valve cover, no timing setup, just plug 'n play

The 4.0l OHV, 1990-2000, all had the synchro with sensor on the top, but as far as I know you could replace just the sensor on the top of the synchro.
Only Calif. 4.0l OHVs had the Cam Sensors thru 1994, in 1995 and up all 4.0l OHVs had them.

Generally speaking the synchro towers would wear out(bushings) so replacing the whole unit is prudent, but often not required
Thanks for the info Ron!

Yea, mine is a Calif. 4.0L. I just went ahead and changed out the sensor. Holding on to the synchro if ever needed in the future.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals