• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

94 2.3l thermostat removal

mack_attack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Im having trouble trying to remove the thermostat to replace it on my 2.3l. It seems like you need to take the timing belt cover off to get to the 2 bolts holding it on, but after I took the screw out of the cover and popped all the fasteners out I couldnt get the cover out:icon_confused:. Does anybody know the steps to take to remove the thermostat on a 94' 2.3?

locovaca

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I was able to do it on my 93 without removing the cover. You won't be able to get the timing cover off completely but you should be able to bend it enough out to get a socket on the bolt. It was a pain but it can be done.

mack_attack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
is the 93 and 94 the same setup under the hood?

locovaca

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yes, they are the same generation.

mack_attack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
will running it in the high end of the cold range or right on the line of normal cause any harm?

locovaca

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well, it depends on if it really is at that temp (thermostat open, running too cold), or if your $4 sender is just bum. My sensor was bum for a long time and it never got that warm on the gauge, but the engine was running normal temp. If you're not getting poor MPGs or running odd, that's probably your problem. You'll have to drain coolant to replace the sender as well but they really are a piece of crap and go bad frequently.

If it really is running at that temp, then you will get lower MPGs.

Powerzombie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Maybe that's my problem....the truck seems to put out a ton of heat and I am getting between 27 and 29 mpg, but the truck shows a low running temp. (just above the lowest cold line).

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
that's normal, mine's been doing that for 9 years, it's just where the 2.3 gage seems to work...

mack_attack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
so how should I go about checking the gauge sending unit?

locovaca

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You pull the part and stick it in near boiling water and check the resistance. I don't know what your financial situation is, but it's a $7 part at your local autozone. If you're willing to go through the trouble of pulling the sender (which requires draining the coolant and getting into an somewhat awkward, blind spot to get the sender, pretty much next to the oil filter), just dump the $7 into a new one and put the new one back.

But if you insist on testing it, 73 ohms should be the cold mark and 10 ohms should be the hot mark. When I replaced mine it was barely hitting cold, and afterwards it ran right about 2/5 the way in the normal range.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
my '89 and '86 sensors read exactly the same... I just figure if it stands straight up, gotta be careful :)

only problem with that theory is the difference between my explorer and ranger, since the explorers actually works, so I should probably fix the rangers...

Fuelaltered

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 & 95 splash
Make / Model
Ranger shortbed
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
2 inches on both
My credo
AF B-47 bombers
thermostat

so how should I go about checking the gauge sending unit?
Can check actual temp by getting it up to normal operating, and carefully removing rad cap, install a thermometer. Most auto supply stores have the especially for that use.

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
Altered:"Can check actual temp by getting it up to normal operating, and carefully removing rad cap, install a thermometer."

I would sooner use a non-contact thermometer. Messing with hot coolant that could be under pressure is not a 'fun project'. Using a non-contact, just point it at the thermostat housing or the upper radiator hose. It should read in the 190F range, somewhere, not exactly 195F which was the spec for most thermostats in Limas.
If you don't get into the 190's, the thermostat may not be closing all the way.

If you want to check your gauge, temporarily touch the sender wire to ground. The gauge will wham over to full HOT reading with the key in ON. I would not leave it connected to ground for long, as it moves so fast that it seems as if it's over-loaded with volts.
I tried replacing the sender without draining. Big mistake. Coolant was all over the place, so I jammed the old one back in and drained the system(what had not already drizzled out) and then replaced it. I used Teflon tape on the threads. It will seal, and still give electrical contact for the sender to work.
tom

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals