• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1999 Ranger Offroad Build

Thedankytrain

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hey just joined today and I got a 1999 ford ranger xlt 4wd. I got an automatic, 3.0 v6. I am trying to get an off-road/overlanding build going, but I am a junior in high school. So I gotta do it cheap while also quite capable off-road. I will keep updating if any more info is needed. Thanks, cant wait to get out on the trails!

Last edited:

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Start with the essentials then, suspension lift, tires and gear swap in the rear end if needed. Since money is tight there are some decent 3-6 inch suspension lifts out there and still decent quality. Tires will be best to find some used mud tires with good tread left. New mud tires aren't cheap and they can wear easily if driven on the highway for long periods of time. I see good tires on craigslist all the time for good prices because people don't like the road noise so they take the loss to get some money for other tires. The gear swap may not be needed depending on what size tires you get. Everyone one here swears to swapping the gears but I used to have a 91 4x4 with 3.55 gears and 33" tires and I never got stuck or had any kind of issues. Those were just the stock gears in it.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
The good news on the newer Rangers is that you can fit a 33" tire pretty easily. I threw in a block (about $50) in the back and cranked the torsion bars slightly, then had it aligned. Treadwright sells 285/75-16's for about $150 each.

You almost certainly have a 4.10 axle stock behind the 3.0 in your '99.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
According to Ford (Canada) brochure for Ranger, the 3.0 came with 3.73s as stock (auto or manual/2 or 4wd) so I wouldn't put one's life savings on it having 4.10s :) (A lot came with lower ratio, but it was an option).

Never got stuck - you haven't been trying hard enough :p

Tires make the biggest difference. I was sort of disappointed with the lift in my '98 (for '98 up, there is only the Superlift and it is PRICEY). While it allowed for one size larger tires, it really didn't add ground clearance or suspension travel. A body lift would have allowed the same for <1/4 the cost...

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
According to Ford (Canada) brochure for Ranger, the 3.0 came with 3.73s as stock (auto or manual/2 or 4wd) so I wouldn't put one's life savings on it having 4.10s :) (A lot came with lower ratio, but it was an option).

Never got stuck - you haven't been trying hard enough :p

Tires make the biggest difference. I was sort of disappointed with the lift in my '98 (for '98 up, there is only the Superlift and it is PRICEY). While it allowed for one size larger tires, it really didn't add ground clearance or suspension travel. A body lift would have allowed the same for <1/4 the cost...
There's the True Travel Dynamics lift at $4200, but I'm not convinced it actually exists in the wild.
https://truetraveldynamics.com/shop/98-12-ford-ranger-4wd-4-5-long-travel-kit/

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals