• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Steering Column Swap with Wheel

camusmuse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Well.... I have a 2001 Ranger that is pretty basic for an XLT...no power windows or locks...not even a tilt steering wheel!!!!

So I can deal with the locks and windows with an alarm install...BUT the truck has 200kmiles, the ignition is worn out to the point to where I can pull the key out in any position. So its time to replace it....I was thinking it might be easier and BETTER to grab a newer complete steering column from junk yard, one with TILT, and ALSO did they make any factory steering wheels with radio controls??? I have seen steering wheels with cruise control...which I obviously dont have and dont want even, but it would be really nice to have "stock" steering wheel controls for a custom stereo I plan on installing...I like to go for stealth and will hide the HU even....so the steering wheel stereo controls would go a very long way to make my life easier...hehe....

FWIW...I have a friend at a dealership...and from what I understand my PATS might be some issue as well as matching the doors to the ignition...but from what I have read...I can use the keys I have to get the door pattern, and the keys with the column to do the ignition, just have to have the dealer do the custom cut and fix the PATS....I havent talked to him yet...I use his "favors" sparingly....lol...

So could I grab say a fancy steering wheel from an Explorer or something and what years would work with my 2001 with my plan above? I WILL get this done....as I HAVE to have a tilt steering wheel...lol...so I will report back here with my results...but that may be a while unless I can get my hands on a good steering column with stereo controls for "cheap"...I may just get a whole Explorer....as I have some garage space and part it out...but time and money will tell....

Thanks...and again...the big question....what years will fit a 2001 and did they have steering controls??? Am I looking for a unicorn in a JY? Of course I need black, but can change colors for the right column at the right price.

Nathan.....

camusmuse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Well after some more online research, I have found some people that have made the late 90's Eddie Bauer and one other model Explorer that have Steering wheel controls for stereo, and other stuff....but they have confirmed that you can sway the entire stereo column...and it is just bolt in.

So it looks like I am going to have to go to the junkyards and look for this unicorn that is still in good condition....dont want worn out junk. I was hoping for something newer that has those same controls, but I do not think they will bolt in...

Time and some bruised knuckles will tell..lol...

camusmuse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
No one else has done this swap??? Or am I just not looking in the right place?

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Just curious - did you ever get anywhere with this?

booker1971

Reaction score
Well after some more online research, I have found some people that have made the late 90's Eddie Bauer and one other model Explorer that have Steering wheel controls for stereo, and other stuff....but they have confirmed that you can sway the entire stereo column...and it is just bolt in.

So it looks like I am going to have to go to the junkyards and look for this unicorn that is still in good condition....dont want worn out junk. I was hoping for something newer that has those same controls, but I do not think they will bolt in...

Time and some bruised knuckles will tell..lol...

How did swap go interested in doing my 1999 ranger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I know this is an old thread, but I thought I'd add this in. I know it holds true for the F-series, but I'm not sure about the Rangers, but it is worth looking at.

In the year range in question the difference between a tilt column and a non-tilt column was literally the lower trim piece that the adjusting handle stuck through. That means getting tilt would be as easy as getting the right trim piece and the handle you pull on.

booker1971

Reaction score
I know this is an old thread, but I thought I'd add this in. I know it holds true for the F-series, but I'm not sure about the Rangers, but it is worth looking at.

In the year range in question the difference between a tilt column and a non-tilt column was literally the lower trim piece that the adjusting handle stuck through. That means getting tilt would be as easy as getting the right trim piece and the handle you pull on.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals