• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Code P0340-Camshaft Position Sensor

ngeepro15

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a 2000 2.5L 5sp and the computer is throwing out the above code. Where is the CMP located and has anyone else had this problem. A lil more about the truck. The motor has 190k on it and I just replaced the timing belt. The timing is good and it runs fine, just needing to get rid of the code.

Also has anyone had a problem with the engine slowly going back down to idle when shifting gears. Kinda hard to explain but it doesn't do it when you give it throttle while sitting still but as soon as you start going and go to shift it does it. Don't understand what could cause this. Can anyone shed some light on the problem for me, it would be greatly appreciated.

BarnesAM

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The cam position sensor for mine (97) is located on the rear of the oil pump housing, beneath the AC compressor. Not sure on the 2000 if it's the same or not. I'm having the same issue (cam position sensor, or p0340 code), even though the truck seems to be running great.

As to the idle speed issue, my truck had the same issue going on, and I changed the PCM with one from a junkyard that came out of a 96 ranger, and it no longer has the problem.

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
I would be checking the IAC for gunk and grunge. The IAC controls idle rpms, under computer supervision, and could stay 'open' longer than desired if it was gummy. You may be able to remove and clean the gizzards without need for replacing the gasket if you can get it free of the intake without damage. Use carb cleaner spray or your favorite intake cleaner. I'd use something that stated it would not hurt O2 sensors, even though 'whatever' should evaporate before re-installation. Cain't hurt...
tom

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals