• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

crankcase breather

That.1.guy

Reaction score
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
where should my crankcase breather tube be hooked up to? not sure what year motor bit its an 83 ranger. engine is older pint or stang I think. so it is carb not efi.

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
Boy, that's a poser. I have a memory of a tube leading from the rear of the carb over to the cam cover, with an 'anti-backfire' valve built in that used to pop out of place, but darned if it is clear whether that was for PCV. The PCV meters air into the intake manifold, so there should be a port built into the mounting base for the carburetor. All the 2V Fords had a port like that on the rear side of the mounting block, with the PCV set into one of the valve covers, the other valve cover connected to a cleaned air source or a filter in the air cleaner housing(which the Pinto Lima did have).
The oil separator on the side of the block underneath the intake has the outlet that feeds the PCV on later EFI models, and should be the same for carb models.
tom

That.1.guy

Reaction score
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
so the pcv should be hooked to the intake and oil separator?

also this is in 4 cyl tech, only 1 valve cover.

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
I was wandering, explaining how they were originally designed and connected.

The inlet air on my 85 comes from inside the tube feeding air to the throttle body, so is filtered. It connects to the oil filler cap. Air comes in through the tube, through the crankcase, and out via the oil separator on the drivers side of the block, below the intake manifold, thence through a 5/8-3/4 hose, which has the PCV stuffed into it. From the PCV, again into a large hose, turning upward and rearward to the under-side of the upper intake manifold.
All PCV systems need fresh air, a valve, and a port into the intake manifold. Flow is from the fresh air, filtered hopefully, into the crankcase, out, through a PCV to limit flow, and into the intake. Most Fords had a plate, aluminum or fiber, under the carburetor which was fitted with a port to allow PCV fumes to be fed into the engine.
The only image I have of a 2.3 that is close to hand is for a 1974. It shows the PCV tube coming up from below the intake, turning horizontal, and connected to the base of the carburetor on the front side.

Attachments

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Older engines just had a tube on upper oil pan or lower block pointed down at the ground
The Blow-by from engine just exited out of that tube which dripped oil as well, as the hot oil vapor condensed in the tube.

Positive Crankcase Ventilation(PCV) system was added to stop this "pollution"

PCV used engine vacuum to pull Blow-by gases into the engine to be burned
If engine is old enough then block or oil pan's Blow-by hole may have been used for PCV Valve and a hose to intake manifold

Other part of PCV system is the Fresh Air hose, this was filtered air so would be after air filter, could be on air cleaner housing but inside so it gets the same filtered air as engine.
And other end of hose usually connected to valve cover fitting, oil filler cap was often use as retrofit until new valve cover design, adding the Fresh Air hole, was implemented.

Crankcase--------------PCV Valve----------------intake manifold
Air filter------------Valve cover

Those are the two things needed

Blow-by, each time a cylinder fires some of the HOT gases will "blow-by" the piston rings, as it travels down the cylinder walls it vaporizes some of the oil coating on the walls, the cheaper the oil the more vapor, lol, and the older the engine the more the blow-by.
The Blow-by will cause a positive pressure in a sealed engine, so crank case tube was added to vent the Blow-by

For us "old guys", we remember the days of blow-by oil being dumped on the ground
After first rain of the season all that oil at stop lights and stop signs would float up on the rain water............so stopping was a maybe, lol, and no anti-lock brakes back then either

Last edited:

That.1.guy

Reaction score
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
perfect. that's what I needed. just seemed like a big hose to leave open. right now it stops where the pcv should be.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals