• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Sputters and shuts off after hard braking

plknny

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
The other day i had a hard stop, not hard enough to squeal the tires but hard. My truck sputtered and shut off then wouldnt restart like it wasnt getting fuel for about 30 seconds. Its a 96 ranger 2.3 manual 2wd. Anybody know what it could be?

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
The brake booster is run by vacuum from the engine and it may be leaking under hard braking situations. There is a seal on the booster that might be worn and when you stand on the pedal it simply allows the vacuum pressure in the booster to escape.

It the symptoms went away immediately after that then it might just be that the issue is not serious enough to affect idle or things that are running off vacuum (like the vent controls on the heater box).

If you experience high idle for no apparent reason or the idle doesn't drop if you engage the clutch then it could be a leak somewhere else. There is a check valve on the passenger side engine bay about the size and shape (round) of a softball. Check the connections on that and any other vacuum lines and that the brake booster hose and connections are tight and not leaking.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
How much gas was in the tank?

You could have uncovered the fuel pump as gas sloshed to front and then back of the tank, and it sucked in air.

You have to cycle the key on and off a few times to get gas back to the injectors
Key on only gets 2 seconds of running fuel pump, so you have to cycle it on and off a few times

chewy012

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
I had that rubber grommet dry and crack and leak on me, a good bit of black silicone did the job. Bigger the gob, the better the job!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals